Bold Robin

There is a Robin that regularly appears whenever I'm near my workshop where I fill the bird feeders and every now and then it takes a mealworm from the hand. This morning I managed some photos of the Robin taking a mealworm from my wife's hand The pictures are a bit grainy as it was early and the light was not good so had to use a very high ISO to get the shutter speed up high enough but pleased with the results none the less.

• That's quite a willing model you have there ... and perhaps lucky it didn't leave a present on your lens Joy

Nige   Flickr

• What a privilege when they come so close, something you will always remember.

Lot to learn

• Another fabulous collection Trevor.

Our robins are still very timid, they'll hang around for the food, only coming down once I've gone....

• We have 4 Robins around the house 2 each in front and back, hopefully 2 pairs, but as far as I can tell it's only one of them that has the confidence to seek us out for mealworms. That one when it sees us in the garden tries to lead us to the workshop across the garden where it knows the mealworms are kept and sits right beside me on the workbench while I get some out for it.
  • The Bold Robin produced something different yesterday, prior to coming across for a mealworm it yawned and coughed up a little pellet (about 3 to 4mm round). I did try to get the pellet a little later for closer inspection but it had disappeared. Looking at the photo it appears to contain the wing cases of beetles possibly.

Also it is now occasionally accompanied by another Robin and tries to offer a mealworm but this usually ends in a pursuit holding the worm so I don't see the end result. Would it be from that that my bold Robin is a male?

The longest it has stayed on my hand now is for long enough to eat 3 mealworms before flying off.

The Robin Pellet

Then it gave me yet more action photo opportunities.

A little later it decided that if it looked it's absolute best the worms would keep coming.

Trevor

• More great photos. It certainly sounds like you have a male there. He's trying to give the mealies to a female. If you want to get photos of Courtship Feeding, keep the camera on the female as that's where the male will end up. Usually he will go to her. Lovely thread. Keep the photos coming.

Unicum arbustum haud alit duos erithacos

(One bush does not shelter two Robins)

Zenodotus (3rd Century B.C.)

• The Bold Robin continues to produce new events. Today when he came to see me he perched on the Ash Tree just outside my workshop before coming in, then sat on the propagator looking at me then my hand with mealworms and not coming forward. I'll let the pictures below tell the story of what happened next. The pictures taken in the workshop were extracted from a video I took of what happened.

After coughing up the pellet he came straight onto my hand and stayed to eat 4 mealworms before flying off.

I collected the pellet this time and examined it, photos below. Does anybody recognise the contents, mostly some kind of little beetle, the pellet was about 3 x 5 mm in size?

Now off for my lunch,

Trevor

• Looks like what could be tiny pieces of kibbled peanuts maybe? Apple Tree Robin often coughs up a pellet prior to taking waxies. Always interesting to see what's in them.

Unicum arbustum haud alit duos erithacos

(One bush does not shelter two Robins)

Zenodotus (3rd Century B.C.)

• Lovely updates from you beautiful Robin, how nice of him to leave you a gift! He is so brave and cheeky.

Beauty is in the eye of the beholder.

• Good pics again Trevor, Titch often produces a pellet to make room for the pastry, I haven't broken it up to find out what he's eaten though, must be a man thing!!!!!

Lot to learn