Bold Robin

There is a Robin that regularly appears whenever I'm near my workshop where I fill the bird feeders and every now and then it takes a mealworm from the hand. This morning I managed some photos of the Robin taking a mealworm from my wife's hand The pictures are a bit grainy as it was early and the light was not good so had to use a very high ISO to get the shutter speed up high enough but pleased with the results none the less.

• Beautiful photos Jez, what a little beauty that robin is and so tame.

Regards, Hazel 

• Great sequence of photos, you will have a friend for life now and hopefully will get to see a few youngsters too this year.

Lot to learn

• The only problem is that you'll now have to keep mealworms in your pockets at all times when you venture out the back door!! :)

Nige   Flickr

• Hello everybody

I've just been reading the comments on my Robin photos, thank you, just to clarify they were taken by me, TJS.

Here's one more of the Robin coming in for the last one of that offering, it's certainly got a lot bolder taking the mealworms from both my wife's and my own hand (that is my hand in the photo). We both feel quite honoured by the little birds trust or confidence.

Trevor

• As you've already found out, robins will risk everything for mealworms....

Brilliant series of photos whoever took them.

• The Bold Robin has reached another stage in it's confidence. It now often lands on my hand, picks up a worm and stays to eat it on my hand before either choosing another one or flying off before returning to finish what's on offer . The limit appears to be about 4 worms before it flies off for a while.

Trevor

• Is it not just wonderful for a wee bird to have such trust. So delighted for you Trevor, I would be soooooo excited.

Beauty is in the eye of the beholder.

• It is such a thrill when a wild creature trusts you enough to come so close or to sit on your hand. Food is a powerful enticement for such behaviour. Well done, TJS, to you and Mrs TJS; happy Robin and Mrs Robin and happy you two, too. Gorgeous photos, also--thanks!

Kind regards, Ann

• The Robin now follows me into my workshop to make sure I'm going to get some mealworms. It started off looking in from the entrance, perching on the lock looking at me, then came right in and obliged me by sitting on my camera posing as I hoped it would. Then happily takes worms from the hand, occasionally sitting on my hand eating for a few seconds and always flies off after a maximum of 4 worms.

Trevor

Is this where you keep the worms?

Is this my best side?

Or is it this side?

Is this what you wanted?

I've done that for you, now where's the mealworms.

At last, thank you.

• Aw it does not take them long to suss things out, you have a friend for life there TJS, lovely photos again.

Beauty is in the eye of the beholder.