Butterflies & Moths 2021

Well it's time to start a new thread for this year. I saw my 1st Red Admiral of the year yesterday & have had a couple of moths in the house & in the trap overnight.

The house moths come out of the firewood (I think), Ive had 3 around the computer this month, I just keep putting them back out Mompha subbistrigella

Photo taken of it in the plastic pot before I threw it out.

Then in the trap a couple of moths, Eudonia angustea, always around in the winter,

& this one which is several weeks early, not sure why, Orthosia incerta "Clouded Drab Moth"

Last years thread is here https://community.rspb.org.uk/wildlife/f/all-creatures/206393/butterflies-moths-2020  for those that want to have a bit of bedtime reading.

• Thanks for making me smile Ann with your tididy garden, (oooh isn't that a nicer word than tidy!!!!!) Yes let's blame the Victorians, they have taken the blame for much of our mixed up emotions etc., but I think the cutting down of grass and hedges in our gardens is more to do with what the neighbours will think as you said, and the tarmac covering has increased due to the number of cars each family has to have - but I agree with the speaker you heard with the advice to farmers etc on the leaving of the hedges for a few years, it makes so much sense. I have found that you just don't get through to the farmers, they believe they know it all worse luck. After all they are feeding the nation.........
  • Yes I rant & rave about the farmers ripping out entire hedges just to gain a few square yards, it should be banned. I mow the grass in phases so there are always a few daisies around & there are a few areas of wilderness & wild flowers.

A lovely Angle shades came to have a tipple on the rope tonight, at least my bar is open (unlicenced too), hope I don't get done for offering drinks after curfew! LOL

I put it on especially for Wendy as I know she's fond of them too.

• Lol, Gaynor. A couple of years ago we also heard another talk by the man posting most of the RSPB blogs on this forum about gardening for wildlife and finally we will have our first tiny patch set aside for wildflowers this summer, although we have yet to order the seeds. But I would happily wager a modest amount that Mr GB will make certain that the edges are kept in an extremely tidy condition. And whether or not he will be able to resist cutting it until the correct time, well, the jury is not only out, they've given up and are not coming back--not a chance he will be able to wait!

• Noisette, I agree, ripping out hedges should be banned. Maybe an incentive is needed--a bonus for helping wildlife and a penalty for ripping out hedges or doing anything else which endangers wildlife.
  • I'm the same - letting my shrubs and trees grow shaggy and have grown a neat circle of lawn to grow long. It's been so interesting with a nocturnal fox rolling around and pouncing in it, starlings stalking insects in it, and a wood pigeon, wings-spread, letting the ants gobble up its mites. So entertaining! But still got a neighbour offering to mow it for me!
    First butterflies of the year yesterday One brimstone and one comma. They always seem special when you haven't seen any for months!
  • Yes we had our first comma 2 days ago, they are so lovely & bright.
  • I had lovely blooms from the wildflower seeds I had bought last year, really enjoyed seeing what flowers came and how long they lasted, good luck with your patch Ann :-)
  • A few from the last week or so, a Comma,

Large Tortoiseshell

& yesterday our first Orange-tip

so pretty I got it twice

& today a day-flying moth, an early Common Heath

Yup, spring is definately just around the corner.

• How lovely to see these beautiful butterflies and the C.Heath moth and a sure sign that spring is on the way, great photos Hazel. The orange tip is gorgeous.