Butterflies & Moths 2021

Well it's time to start a new thread for this year. I saw my 1st Red Admiral of the year yesterday & have had a couple of moths in the house & in the trap overnight.

The house moths come out of the firewood (I think), Ive had 3 around the computer this month, I just keep putting them back out Mompha subbistrigella

Photo taken of it in the plastic pot before I threw it out.

Then in the trap a couple of moths, Eudonia angustea, always around in the winter,

& this one which is several weeks early, not sure why, Orthosia incerta "Clouded Drab Moth"

Last years thread is here https://community.rspb.org.uk/wildlife/f/all-creatures/206393/butterflies-moths-2020  for those that want to have a bit of bedtime reading.

Best wishes

Hazel in Southwest France

• I've seen a couple of butterflies disappearing fast over the roof but a day or so ago we had a lovely bit of sunshine, it felt like spring, my heart lifted & there was a lovely Red Admiral on the Viburnum

Spring is just around the corner!

Best wishes

• Great pic for lifting of spirits whilst waiting for gas CH engineer to come & repair leaking boiler ... Brrrrrrrrr!

2013 photos & vids here

eff37 on Flickr

• Oh no, these things never break down at a good time do they, I hope you'll soon be warm! We've just lit the lounge fire, cold & wet this morning so no chance of the sun heating the house!

Best wishes

• We have lovely bright sun but minus temps which are falling rapidly, defintely not a good time for boiler breakdown ... roll on Spring!

Edit:  All sorted by half eleven, small part disintegrated but instantly replaceable, just in time to combat -4°C ... brrrrrrrrrr!

2013 photos & vids here

eff37 on Flickr

• Glad you got the boiler fixed Wendy, not the weather at the moment for heating to go wrong ! Keep warm :) Felt pretty arctic here today although we braved the cold for a couple of hours staying on our local parkland with coffee stop first !!

Regards, Hazel 

• No chance of seeing butterflies here at the moment. The temperature is struggling to get above freezing during the day and well below at night. Relief is at hand though, the forecasters are saying the temp will reach double figures from Sunday.

Tony

My Flickr Photostream 

• Good to hear you will not freeze tonight, Wendy! We are expecting -4C tonight, too, if the forecasts are right.

Kind regards, Ann

• Brrr Wendy. glad to see you had your boiler fixed, what a time to breakdown, it has been so cold I have looked at the empty fireplace and wondered should I go out and buy coal. Nothing quite like looking at a blazing fire in the grate.

Lot to learn

• Hopefully not needed so much now Gaynor with temps on the up, hope it's same for you ... otherwise, get some coal! Lol

2013 photos & vids here

eff37 on Flickr

• gaynorsl said:
    Brrr Wendy. glad to see you had your boiler fixed, what a time to breakdown, it has been so cold I have looked at the empty fireplace and wondered should I go out and buy coal. Nothing quite like looking at a blazing fire in the grate.

I quite agree, I would struggle in a house without a real fire. We have a wood-burner with glass front in the lounge plus wood-burning cooker in the kitchen & would hate to part with them, despite having to bring in the daily wood supply.

There has been the odd moth on the rope like this Small Quaker

however the weather is promising to perk up, so have high hopes of a few more.

Best wishes