Butterflies & Moths 2021

Well it's time to start a new thread for this year. I saw my 1st Red Admiral of the year yesterday & have had a couple of moths in the house & in the trap overnight.

The house moths come out of the firewood (I think), Ive had 3 around the computer this month, I just keep putting them back out Mompha subbistrigella

Photo taken of it in the plastic pot before I threw it out.

Then in the trap a couple of moths, Eudonia angustea, always around in the winter,

& this one which is several weeks early, not sure why, Orthosia incerta "Clouded Drab Moth"

Last years thread is here https://community.rspb.org.uk/wildlife/f/all-creatures/206393/butterflies-moths-2020  for those that want to have a bit of bedtime reading.

• Thanks for new thread H & starting in style with great pics! Not had any in house yet this year & not poked my head outside in this diabolical weather of late ... roll on Spring!
    Hope you're coping well in lockdown, read about the curfew?
  • Hi Wendy, to be honest it hasn't made a huge difference to us apart from the fact that Ron has me grumbling that I can't go out & do a moth trap in the evening. I feel very sorry for the working millions who have even less time to do their shopping & it crams the same number of people into less shoping hours, so that isn't going to improve things. The areas that have had a 6pm curfew since the start of january have apparantly reduced their daily cases by 16% on average, so we have to hope it'll work. As bars, restaurants, cinemas, gyms etc etc have been shut since the end of October, there is nowhere to go anyway. In our departement the number of people with Covid in hospital has gone from 43 on 2 jan to 125 on the 20 jan, with 2 huge jumps the last few days, which is worrying.

I fully expect full lockdown to be back soon. Good luck tomorrow.

On the bright side they can't stop me going out in the garden & last night had this beauty on the rope, a Tawny Pinion, a regular on the rope, obviously likes my mix of Bordeaux rouge & Rosé,

It was tricky to photograph, what with the wind blowing the rope around & me wavering under the influence of 2 glasses of rosé.......

• Hazel C said:
    It was tricky to photograph, what with the wind blowing the rope around & me wavering under the influence of 2 glasses of rosé.......

I imagine it's difficult to judge the amount of wine needed to synchronise wavering you with the wind swept rope!! 

I reckon it will be aa while before I see any moths or butterflies so you may have the thread to yourself for now, so keep it up!

• I put a trap out the other night but no players and now the weather is not being friendly. Have treated myself to a new trap that will hopefully arrive before Spring - postal delays are causing chaos at the moment
  • Keep up the rose H ! ( you'll have to imagine the accented 'e' Lol)

• Germain said:
    I put a trap out the other night but no players and now the weather is not being friendly. Have treated myself to a new trap that will hopefully arrive before Spring - postal delays are causing chaos at the moment

There certainly isn't much about, it's turned wet now & windy with it. What type is your new trap Germain? It will be interesting to compare results with the other.

• Hazel C said:

Well it's time to start a new thread for this year. I saw my 1st Red Admiral of the year yesterday & have had a couple of moths in the house & in the trap overnight.

Last years thread is here https://community.rspb.org.uk/wildlife/f/all-creatures/206393/butterflies-moths-2020  for those that want to have a bit of bedtime reading.

Thanks Noisette, and a nice start to this years thread, now book marked.   Thumbsup

• New trap set up and ready to rock and roll - 

Tonight will be the first time I can get it out 

• I have a new Macro lens as well.   Tried it out on a Dotted Border that was guarding the front door this morning

I need to play with it a bit 

• I missed your post Caroline, thats a fab photo of the dotted border & I'm sure you'll have lots of fun with the new trap. I've done a few traps lately but very little inside, it's quite damp & miserable & I think the moths are saying "I'm not going out on a night like this" LOL