Odds & Sods 2021

Time to start this year's thread of odds and sods    (Last year's Odds & Sods HERE

Today a large flock of 40 or so Redwings descended on the fields around our local parkland and although they were pretty skittish and distant I hard cropped a few pics for you ....

and a blue tit landed nearby  !   

Regards, Hazel 

• Unknown said:

@ Mike,  that certainly was a cold day back in 2013 and we know the area around Cat & Fiddle as we always pass it to get to Hartington and River Dove walk.      

Nice photos of the BHG,s and loving the red squiggle photos.

Hazel, that photo was around the Wildboarclough area, close to Danebower Hollow!

I had a look back through my photos and 22 June 2012, out on Derwent Edge, that was a similar temp!

• Many thank, everyone, for pics ad posts.

Hazel, Yes, it was wonderful to see you and Mike at LM. Hope you manage to go on another trip or two very soon to test out your new car and to take more gorgeous pics. Thanks for the Gull pics. Like you, we were delayed on the M6 and along the Dee Valley but traffic eased up once well in to Wales. Very misty across the hills and the Sat Nav thought night had come! We were volunteering yesterday and today and luckily we had good weather. I spent much of Sunday chatting with visitors and other volunteers while watching the Osprey nest on private land where the new pair there has at least one chick. New Dad fed his first ever chick at one point today--lovely. The injured male Osprey at the Glaslyn nest is recovering slowly from his accident and he managed to catch two small fish one day, eating both of them himself. At least the Glaslyn female can go fishing if she chooses. Fingers crossed that he will recover enough go back to providing fish for his mate before they both migrate. The centre will again provide fish if it looks like the male is in need of them, but they hope he will be able to manage alone and catch enough fish for at least himself. They stopped providing fish when the Crows were taking 90 percent of them and the Ospreys appeared to be catching their own. We are 'off work' on Monday but back to volunteering on Tuesday and again next weekend. How time flies when you're having fun!

Kind regards, Ann

• :@ Ann .................At least after that long journey you are now rewarded with the Osprey sightings and meeting visitors as you volunteer; how lovely to see the new "dad" feed his first chick. Also good to hear the injured Glaslyn male is recovering well and is eventually able to catch not just fish for himself but also for the female. It's a lovely part of the country and hope you get to relax and go sight-seeing in-between the valuable volunteering. Enjoy :)

Regards, Hazel 

• Unknown said:
    Many thank, everyone, for pics ad posts.

The injured male Osprey at the Glaslyn nest is recovering slowly from his accident and he managed to catch two small fish one day, eating both of them himself. At least the Glaslyn female can go fishing if she chooses. Fingers crossed that he will recover enough go back to providing fish for his mate before they both migrate. The centre will again provide fish if it looks like the male is in need of them, but they hope he will be able to manage alone and catch enough fish for at least himself. They stopped providing fish when the Crows were taking 90 percent of them and the Ospreys appeared to be catching their own. We are 'off work' on Monday but back to volunteering on Tuesday and again next weekend. How time flies when you're having fun!

Good news on the osprey. Thumbsup

• Thanks for starting this years thread Hazy.
  • Sometimes you just can't be bothered.!!

My bird photos HERE

• Not an unusual visitor to our garden, but it did give to some photographic opportunities, even though through the kitchen window, which needs a clean....

Time for a good scratch before I move on.....

• Thanks Gaynor. A work colleague who used to work with the RSPB said wherever you see rock climbers you have a chance of seeing a ring ouzel. https://get-mxplayer.in
  • One that had slipped through the net, a greenfinch, a first for the garden, but not a first for me.

• Beautiful laid back fox visiting you Mike :-) Nice Greenie too, I'm getting a few here now too. BTW I noticed a number of Blackbirds out and about in the fields, enjoying the grass now the sileage has been cut, maybe that was why there weren't so many around, the farmer let it grow waist high this year!!

Lot to learn