Odds & Sods 2021

Time to start this year's thread of odds and sods    (Last year's Odds & Sods HERE

Today a large flock of 40 or so Redwings descended on the fields around our local parkland and although they were pretty skittish and distant I hard cropped a few pics for you ....

and a blue tit landed nearby  !   

Regards, Hazel 

• BothTree and House Sparrows are rare in our garden in fact if a Tree Sparrow turned up I would probably ring Rare Bird Alert lol. A few hundred yards away there is a big old hedge with agood number of Hedge Sparrows and a few Tree Sparrows trouble is here there may be some interbreeding between the two species.

Pete

Birding is for everyone no matter how good or bad we are at it,enjoy it while you can

• Had a trip out to try and spot the local Barn Owls, but no joy. Very misty morning. I'd read the first Redwings of the winter were back at Portland, and thought perhaps I'd spotted a Fieldfare today, but think it's a Song Thrush

And despite this belonging in the Bad Pics thread, I don't see many Jays, so I'm putting it here Laughing

And finally, first Goldcrest of the winter

• You've set the standard with the goldcrest, and why not post the jay here, its clear enough and definitely good enough. Many thanks for sharing.

• A pair of starlings on a neighbouring TV aerial

There was one hell of a commotion, some extremely noisy house sparrows, flitting between next doors guttering and ours....

Its very likely these are from the same family, but different broods, and there had been two males fighting each other. A guess, 12 house sparrows though I'm sure there were more at one point, possibly a rival family.

• Oh my someone is not happy!

Beauty is in the eye of the beholder.

• Came across this heron during a short walk this morning. It was so still when I first saw it, I thought someone had placed a statue among the tall grass.

It then moved its head.

At one point I thought it was about to get a meal but it came to nothing.

As I went around the pond on my way home, it was keenly watching the activities of a moorhen in the middle of the pond.

Wouldn't want to argue with that beak!

• Last trip up to see the peak district rutting stags this morning. Mist and sunrise put this one in silhouette.

Lots of mountain hares more westardly in the peaks and never got a photograph of one, I think that's my new challenge, which it will be with the little bridge camera and bottle of blackcurrant cordial to keep me going :)

• I got this adorable nuthatch at Minsmere a few days before we went to Mull:

Our herring gulls are red listed birds.  Think about that the next time you hear some flaming idiot calling for a cull of them.

• Cracking shot Clare, though odd to see the upside down bird the other way around!!!

Lot to learn

• Lynn L said:
    Oh my someone is not happy!

They were all squabbling with each other, sadly I missed the best of the commotion, it was like a gang war on my neighbours guttering!