Odds & Sods 2021

Time to start this year's thread of odds and sods    (Last year's Odds & Sods HERE

Today a large flock of 40 or so Redwings descended on the fields around our local parkland and although they were pretty skittish and distant I hard cropped a few pics for you ....

and a blue tit landed nearby  !   

• Wonderful pics again, Hazel. The view of the mere is lovely and very soothing. I see you have blue skies today and so do we--much easier to be cheerful when the sun shines.
  • Oh, Hazel, you've really landed on your feet there, after all the moving rigmarole! Looks FAB!
  • Thanks folks,

@ PB ... it's only about 6 or 7 miles from where we used to live but a new area to us now we are in residence on the parkland.    Saw some Redwings on the way back across the park but they saw me before I saw them and they scarpered !   Here's a few pics taken on the mobile of the walk from apartment to mere

I didn't paint the sky in, was a gorgeous day and it felt like summer today :)  

science park and one of the lighthouse labs (covid testing) in the background at the other end of the park and close to the mere

and part of a huge area they have just cordoned off for wildlife;   stretches for quarter of a mile with dog proof/people proof fencing although these wooden access gates have to be part of it so they can get necessary maintenance machinery in.   Hopefully residents/visitors will abide by the rules and it will be a fantastic place for all manner of birds/wildlife. 

you can see how far it stretches back to the mere so a really good protected area which goes the length of the mere.

• I thought you all might enjoy the variety of daffs that can be found in the banks on the lanes.  These 3 little patches were in a 10 yard stretch

• Love the view across the Mere Hazy, and the hide looks just right for relaxing in and eating your lunch outside on the bench. Beautiful pics of the Mallard and G.C.Grebes, albeit the one sticking out it's tongue needs a slap on the wrist!!!

Post edit      It was the Canada Geese being rude, pardon me G.C Grebe.!!

Beautiful daffodils Caroline, nice to have such variety, I saw a small clump of double petalled down the lane last year, very pretty.

• The daffodils are always such a cheery sight and such lovely photos Caroline, a breath of early spring :)
  • I reckon that's a Balletic Great Crested Grebe practising its moves!
  • Unknown said:
    I reckon that's a Balletic Great Crested Grebe practising its moves

I did ask if it could do a wave to the forumates    LOL       

• Fabulous photos Hazel. I've missed my annual dose of watching the herons nest build this year.

The staggering size that some of the branches, not twigs, are they carry in their beaks!

• Oooh, very nice Alan, glad to see the deer (roe ? ) and Barnie again.