Reservoir Ducks!!!

No, not a new Tarantino film but from several days ago, when we had proper weather and I took the camera duck hunting on a local reservoir. You'll find out why later! First an immature Black-headed Gull apparently in need of a hairdresser.

There's a disused canal running by the reservoir and you know I like colourful reflections ...

I can't resist photos bursting with bright colours 

A Sparrowhawk made a mad dash across the path in front of me on the path back to the reservoir. Too quick for me, sadly, so no photo Rage However, I was really after a particular duck and it takes time to find just one amongst the crowds, but I was fortunate. It was happily posing in the best place possible.

A first winter male Scaup, close to shore, in the sunshine, in the part with nice colours reflecting off the water. Couldn't ask for better when you've gone to see if it was still around

Going under ...

And with lovely Autumn colours

• Hairdressers all closed now Nige so your gull will just have to go hippy style like the rest of us Joy
    Your ducks are lovely..great captures...

• Ahhh... no wing mirror... must be juvenile lol. The moorhen's colours certainly "pop" from the screen :o) Not knowingly seen a scaup, although they do appear down here, they're often on the recently seen bird lists in ones and twos. Nice captures
  • Lovely photos, Nigel, but you knew that! Love them all but especially the Scaup. I saw my first Scaup more years ago than I care too remember, but I wouldn't have been able to say exactly when or how old that one was (and cannot now, unfortunately!). Although I might wager it could almost have been before you were born--lol!--not knowing precisely when you were born...! Just guessing.
  • Love that last pic Nigel, the reflections in the water, the sun shining on the Scaup while it looks knowingly at you saying 'I know I'm handsome' :-)
  • Lovely photo’s Nigel great colours and showing the birds looking
    there best, well captured
  • Thanks all.
    I don't normally see many Scaup at all. Usually one or two small groups per year, but this reservoir has done well recently. It had a group of 5 last winter and now another this winter.
    This one certainly was a poser when I went. He really had chosen the spot with the most colourful reflections and was reasonably close to shore. Anywhere else and the photos wouldn't have been as good.
    You may be underestimating my age there, Ann - thank you!
  • You were lucky with the spot the Scaup chose--great pics.
    Re: your age--you are most welcome, Nigel; you are still a spring chicken after all, certainly when compared to some we have also met! But perhaps you are underestimating my age instead (although I would have thought it might be far easier to overestimate my age, considering my general state of decrepitude--lol!)
  • Unknown said:
    Nigel; you are still a spring chicken after all, certainly when compared to some we have also met!

Mentioning no names, of course!!

Still, a shame we didn't get to all meet up again this year. Let's hope for better next year!

• Yep, hope all is well for another meet-up in 2021. The hotel we've stayed in was more than happy to roll over our reservation for the same relative days next year toward the end of June, and all being well we will leave from the LM meet-up on the last Friday and head for Porthmadog and more volunteering at Glaslyn Ospreys again. Fingers crossed there will be a vaccine before then or we would not be going to either place. Of course, Hazel has suggested considering a meet-up somewhere else at some point, which is a great idea, but I hope next year there will still be at one at LM. We could have more than one next year to make up for losing this year--what do you think and if we did, where would you like to go in addition to LM? I'm hoping there will be nesting Ospreys near Poole Harbour next year (near RSPB Arne), Minsmere is lovely anytime of year, and we usually visit Frampton Marsh before and/or after Birdfair in August, north Norfolk is lovely...oh, there are so many choices.
  • Unknown said:
    Hazel has suggested considering a meet-up somewhere else at some point,

Talking of Hazel, has anyone seen her recently?