North Norfolk Day 2 - RePost

Monday was a totally different day to Sunday, high cloud, no wind, no rain and some sunshine. Today we walked along the sea wall from Burnham Overy Staithe to the back of Holkham Beach, with fields and fresh marsh on the righthand side and tidal mud flats on the left.

The view at the start of the walk from the sea wall path looking down to the estuary with the tide out and the sand dunes in front.

The first of dozens of Redshank.

Closely followed by the usual Little Egret.

This shot is heavily cropped but it shows two very distant Whimbrel (I think)

Another view across the marsh & estuary to the sea between the sand dunes.

More of the many mud larking Redshanks. Tricky photos with the sun shining on the wet mud.

Amazingly a Red Kite flew right over head but very high.

When we got to the back of the sand dunes we stopped to look around the scrub bush area to see if we could spot the Lapland Bunting along with few other birders. We did manage to get a quick glimpse before it disappeared but no photo. No sign of the Red Breasted Flycatcher which looks amazingly like a Robin one of which I did see perched on a bramble bush.. was it, could it have been, should I have looked more closely, hey ho

When the tide is in most of the sand where the gulls are will be under water.

The view of the entrance of the estuary into Burnham Staithe quay with more gulls and Cormorants in the distance.

Right down on the beach lots of gulls and a pair of Oystercatchers 

In the far distance you can see some of the large number of wind turbines of the coast

All the gulls in the world..

The return of 633 squadron

Then bizarrely we spotted this Guilimot preening on the beach

The view along the beach toward Holkham woods

On the walk back along the sea wall we spotted a  Grey Plover with some Dunlin behind it . We had already seen about 100+ Golden Plover far out on the marsh scrub.

and Ringed Plover

Making use of the incoming tide.

A Grey Heron flying away from the sea wall.

Little Grebe in the land side drainage ditch. Also saw our first Whitethroat of the year but too quick for a photo.

Maintenance with a remote control vegetation cutter on the side of the sea wall.

The mechanic's taking a break.

Hope. you enjoy the views of the landscape as much as I do, along with the wildlife.