Bearded Vulture in the Peak District

I was sent this BBC News link today which shows a rare UK sighting of a Bearded Vulture in the Peak District

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-derbyshire-53383387

• I'm already up, dressed and ready to go in the vain hope ! Fancied a drive out that way so nothing lost if we don't see anything, the landscape is always there lol

Regards, Hazel 

• Wow, a running commentary. Worth the trip.

Tony

My Flickr Photostream 

• Still here but hasn’t shown since 09.10 About 20 people here.  Don’t expect running commentary as I have only 500mb data allowance lol

Regards, Hazel 

• Heading back home now as it’s turned much wetter ! Timed it right to get back to car before rain came. Catch ya’ll later Thanks for keeping tabs on Twitter for me Alan.

Regards, Hazel 

• Very well done Hazy and Mike, and of course Alan for his commentary, I've only just switched on and saw the activity:-)

Lot to learn

• I only took half a dozen pics as it was pretty much too far for decent shots but was happy to have a record shot of it.    

@  Alan,  pretty much the same distance and shot,  this was probably a bit nearer than yours.        Pity the bird didn't show closer but we were still thrilled to have seen it despite us not tick listing for this "mega".       Even from a long way away you would probably have no doubt about it being the vulture with that terrific wingspan ........ unless it was heading away from you rather than side on.        Hope your's was the vulture too.

Uncropped version on the full frame 5Diii with 300mm x 2

hard cropped version:    sorry, not great pics but at least you can tell it is the Lammergeier !

another very distant photo, hard cropped but thought I'd show you the folk sitting on top of the distant hill birdwatching and a Kestrel sitting right below and to the side on to them ....it's behind you !!!    LOL   

We also saw Spotted Flycatchers, Mistle Thrushes, Stonechat and apparently there was a "reeling" Grasshopper Warbler at the beginning of the car park layby although we didn't see or hear it as we were parked a little further up.   

Apologies for not getting you decent pics of this amazing bird but if it hangs around for a while we might try again at a later date.      The crowds were only numbering around 30 max so it is a better time to go now. 

Regards, Hazel 

• lol you're too kind ! wish it had been a brighter day and the bird a tad nearer. Luck of the draw.

Regards, Hazel 

• Congratulations, Hazel and Mike, many thanks for making the trip and for the pics and thanks, Alan, for the running commentary and links. You can definitely ID the bird from your shots, Hazel, so that is more than good enough for me. Chances are that I'll probably never see one in the flesh so this is great!

Kind regards, Ann

• Brilliant Hazel well done and thanks for sharing!

(Pardon the Scottish Accent)

• Thanks so much Ann, yes, Alan was a good help as we were able to text one another with updates.
    Our journey should have been 32 miles, it turned out to be nearer to 48miles as we got a few miles up a road towards Kettleshulme only to find it blocked off so had to back-track a few miles and find an alternative route and it's not the best area amongst hills to get mobile reception so relied on the old Tom Tom sat-nav. A bit of trouble finding the lay-by as we had two options along the A57 and typically took the wrong direction so had to do a U-turn and head past where the postcode said it was ! At least it was worth it in the end to spot this bird.
    btw, I'm going to put up that photo I promised you of the Osprey close up that my brother took....... give me five mins and you will see it on the Australian birds thread.

Regards, Hazel