Bearded Vulture in the Peak District

I was sent this BBC News link today which shows a rare UK sighting of a Bearded Vulture in the Peak District

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-derbyshire-53383387

• Thanks, All--hope it stays safe and gets back to its true home very soon,

Kind regards, Ann

• I hope it stays safe. I also hope it flies through here on its way back!!

Our herring gulls are red listed birds.  Think about that the next time you hear some flaming idiot calling for a cull of them.

• I hope it flies over you, too, Clare; I imagine you and Limpy will be scanning the skies for the next few days! The farther east it gets before crossing the channel will also mean that it will be less likely to be blown away into the Atlantic--winds are from the northeast today and tomorrow, but forecast to be a bit less strong tomorrow. Then later in the week, winds change and looks like winds will be from the west-southwest. (Not BV-related but the older Dyfi Osprey chick has been spotted fishing in Devoran, Cornwall. He is fairly far west and southwest of him is only sea! Hope he does not continue his journey today or he may be in trouble.)

Kind regards, Ann

• Thanks, Alan, Just looked at where Thornton, Leics, is on a map and it could be flying over anyone in the south, depending on which way it is taking from there. What are the chances? Not great, I expect, but you never know.

Kind regards, Ann

• Thanks, Alan, but we are not on Twitter, unless it is possible to search regardless!

Kind regards, Ann

• Thanks, Alan, You may have seen, I've sent you a friend request. I could then PM you with Mr GB's phone number if you would be so good as to text him if the bird swerves west again and looks to be heading towards the Surrey/Hants border area. But if it is heading SE from Rutland, then it will not be anywhere near us, sadly.

Kind regards, Ann

• Yep, thanks, Alan, RSPB sent me an e-mail. I've sent you a PM.

Kind regards, Ann

• Just clicked again on the search Twitter link you posted above, Alan, and a few posts down from the top someone has put up a short BBC video of a gorgeous BV (with white tummy and flowing white petticoats and pantaloons!). The bird is following a Wolf and taking a few bones from a well eaten kill the wolf visited and swallowing them down one at a time. Amazing footage. I knew BVs eat bones, but it seems they swallow them down in one or a few gulps after first dropping them from a height onto rocks in order to break them a bit. The bones still look very whole.

Kind regards, Ann

• Thanks Alan and Ann

That BBC Vid is very good, Amazing what we learn from being able to watch others on their daily toils.

• Thanks for the update Alan, I was wondering where it was at the moment and hope she finds her way home safely.

Regards, Hazel