Not Northumberland #3

Well howdy-doody folks, I see you've come back for another dose of your favourite medicine, you mad fools!

This time you will definitely need a cushion, something to drink (possibly snacks too if you're of a peckish nature) and a selection of reference books and/or access to the internet, because I don't know half of what I've taken pictures of Joy

I saw Hazel (Noisette)'s posting in the butterfly thread this morning and it reminded me I was disappointed with the number I didn't see yesterday, and so she inspired me to have another go at an insect hunt. So off I went to …… the river (obviously!!). Allow me to explain my reasoning. It was a tad foggy, so I thought a trip to the river for an hour or so would allow the fog to burn off, and the insects to burst from their overnight accommodation, full of vim and vigour. Also, my Mum had had a delivery from the supermarket including Mrs PB's favourite tipple Tanqueray pink grapefruit, gin in a tin.... and I know which side my bread is buttered. Anyhow, to the river...

First up, Little Egret incoming

Landing, graceful as a ballerina

Looook, light as a feather, barely a ripple

Along the bank the demoiselles were out

It had turned out beautifully clear, and the river was moving quite sedately, so there were reflections galore

Now a series of bee's and stuff, so reference materials at the ready....

This could be another banded demoiselle, but since Nige introduced the idea of "variable damselflies" I'm no longer playing guess the species lol

Not sure what the pink is on the leg, pollen sac? parasite/infection?

And ready for a big Cygnet awwwwwwww….. I think there may be 9!! (They successfully raised full brood of eight last year) ….

So I'd wandered the length of my old bit of river, and had seen a glimpse of the kingie, but I was too slow for a picture, so I returned homewards, ready for the insect part of the trip... at Hod Hill, which is the hill next to Hambledon Hill from yesterday (both National Trust) and is apparently the biggest hill fort in Dorset. It was certainly steep!!

A brown damsel of some sort

A Butterfly, about half the size of a speckled wood

There was a bright green grasshopper/crickety thing

It took forever trying to get that one in focus, so I took the big lens off, and went 70-300...much easier Slight smile

A brown grasshopper/crickety thing

An Orange-Bum-Bee

A lime green and black grasshopper/crickety thing

Another brown damsel

A butterfly.... 

Gawd, I hope it gets better than this...I can see them.... flitter, flutter, flitter flutter...LAND for goodness sake!!!

A shiny beetle

A series now, featuring the long awaited arrival, of Mr and Mrs Blue Butterfly!!!

Yesss, I know she doesn't look blue.... but I'm sure I read somewhere the female is brown....not very confusing at all Rolling eyes

A different make of butterfly now

The light was bright and therefore deceptive, but this was either very pale blue, or white..

Possibly a Small Heath, or may be not...

And a right old raggedy one to finish

Thanks once again for persisting through the drivel, and thanks to Hazel for the inspiration to do bugs n stuff (got to admit the time flew by peering into the grass and looking for any movements lol) and thanks in advance, because I'm sure there will be a full list of ID's by the morning from my more learned forumites Grin

Stay Safe All