Not Northumberland #3

Well howdy-doody folks, I see you've come back for another dose of your favourite medicine, you mad fools!

This time you will definitely need a cushion, something to drink (possibly snacks too if you're of a peckish nature) and a selection of reference books and/or access to the internet, because I don't know half of what I've taken pictures of Joy

I saw Hazel (Noisette)'s posting in the butterfly thread this morning and it reminded me I was disappointed with the number I didn't see yesterday, and so she inspired me to have another go at an insect hunt. So off I went to …… the river (obviously!!). Allow me to explain my reasoning. It was a tad foggy, so I thought a trip to the river for an hour or so would allow the fog to burn off, and the insects to burst from their overnight accommodation, full of vim and vigour. Also, my Mum had had a delivery from the supermarket including Mrs PB's favourite tipple Tanqueray pink grapefruit, gin in a tin.... and I know which side my bread is buttered. Anyhow, to the river...

First up, Little Egret incoming

Landing, graceful as a ballerina

Looook, light as a feather, barely a ripple

Along the bank the demoiselles were out

It had turned out beautifully clear, and the river was moving quite sedately, so there were reflections galore

Now a series of bee's and stuff, so reference materials at the ready....

This could be another banded demoiselle, but since Nige introduced the idea of "variable damselflies" I'm no longer playing guess the species lol

Not sure what the pink is on the leg, pollen sac? parasite/infection?

And ready for a big Cygnet awwwwwwww….. I think there may be 9!! (They successfully raised full brood of eight last year) ….

So I'd wandered the length of my old bit of river, and had seen a glimpse of the kingie, but I was too slow for a picture, so I returned homewards, ready for the insect part of the trip... at Hod Hill, which is the hill next to Hambledon Hill from yesterday (both National Trust) and is apparently the biggest hill fort in Dorset. It was certainly steep!!

A brown damsel of some sort

A Butterfly, about half the size of a speckled wood

There was a bright green grasshopper/crickety thing

It took forever trying to get that one in focus, so I took the big lens off, and went 70-300...much easier Slight smile

A brown grasshopper/crickety thing

An Orange-Bum-Bee

A lime green and black grasshopper/crickety thing

Another brown damsel

A butterfly.... 

Gawd, I hope it gets better than this...I can see them.... flitter, flutter, flitter flutter...LAND for goodness sake!!!

A shiny beetle

A series now, featuring the long awaited arrival, of Mr and Mrs Blue Butterfly!!!

Yesss, I know she doesn't look blue.... but I'm sure I read somewhere the female is brown....not very confusing at all Rolling eyes

A different make of butterfly now

The light was bright and therefore deceptive, but this was either very pale blue, or white..

Possibly a Small Heath, or may be not...

And a right old raggedy one to finish

Thanks once again for persisting through the drivel, and thanks to Hazel for the inspiration to do bugs n stuff (got to admit the time flew by peering into the grass and looking for any movements lol) and thanks in advance, because I'm sure there will be a full list of ID's by the morning from my more learned forumites Grin

Stay Safe All

• Well worth hunting out the bugs and butterflies, You've got some good butterflies in particular there. I reckon you've got Grizzled Skipper, Dingy Skipper, Common Blue, Brown Argus(?), Small Heath and a possible Adonis Blue. If I'm right about the latter it's quite exciting as they are not common in the UK. Noisette will give you definitive answers.
    It would be helpful to number your photos so that ID's could be attached to them more easily.

Sorry, forgot about the other birds and critters. Good stuff all round.

Tony

My Flickr Photostream 

• Hi Tony, thanks, I've been trawling butterfly pages since posting and also thought Grizzled and Dingy Skippers, and then I got confused by the blues, and that it may not be male and female after all! I'll number them now :o)
  • Thanks PB, that will make it easier.
    The one I'm getting (over)excited about is No 13 (possible Adonis). See how the black lines cross the white fringes on the wing edges. They don't on the Common Blue eg No15. Hope I'm right as I've never seen one in the UK only in mainland Europe.
    I miss my forays to see butterflies.

Tony

My Flickr Photostream 

• Wow PB, you just keep on giving !! wonderful set of creatures, I'm spoilt for choice as a lot of those I have never seen so just a tad green with envy lol These sets are keeping me going whilst I'm still busy preparing for our mini move so keep them coming as they are a real treat to see and beautiful photos. That area seems so very rich in wildlife/insects so I think you'd probably see something special every time you visit; just wish we lived a bit closer but once we've set up our roost we'll start to go on our adventures locally again :) Thanks again PB, I'm off to take another look through them on full screen.

Regards, Hazel 

• Well now who's a clever boy as TJ says 6) Grizzled Skipper, 11& 18) Dingy Skipper, 15 & 17Common Blue, 16 Brown Argus (as is possibly 14 but without underwing photo can't always call it but I'm calling it ).

Now number 13 - Those wing fringes seem to point towards Adonis and it is very strongly coloured - Hopefully Noisette will be able to confirm - I've never seen one but Hod Hill would be a good place for them.

Your next challenge is to try and get underwing photos as well as with some species it really helps

CinJ

Cin J

• PimperneBloke said:
    So could 14 be female adonis blue?

I don't think so. I would have said it was a female Brown Argus but stand to be corrected by someone more expert than me.

Tony

My Flickr Photostream 

• I no longer feel the need to venture out PB as you shower us with lots of wonderful wildlife...Oh thats right am still not allowed out...Darn Sturgeon!!
    Wonderful selection as always Laughing

(Pardon the Scottish Accent)

• Germain said:
    Your next challenge is to try and get underwing photos

I did try, I'm just glad there was no-one else passing by as I was scrabbling about with my bum in the air in the vain attempt to get lower than the butterfly's wings without scaring it off!!

And thanks for all the ID's :o)

• Superb collection, PB. We don't get some of those up here so I'm not likely to see them.
    You have had the butterflies ID'd, so these are my thoughts of the others
    1 Possibly a Grass Veneer (moth)
    2 Can't tell which hoverfly
    3&4 Honey Bee
    5 Might be one of the Mason Bees
    Brown Damsel (both) = White-legged Damselfly
    7&8 are Crickets but don't know which ones
    9 Red-tailed Bumblebee
    10 Probably a Meadow Grasshopper (I'm afraid colour isn't much help for ID of grasshoppers by the way)
    12 You'll not be surprised to find out it is a Swollen-thighed Beetle

Nige   Flickr