The Young of 2020

I usually start this thread by cheating and having a pic of a baby Feral Pigeon that I have rescued. Not this year. Today, the first of the Little, Little HTR's arrived in the garden, right on schedule. It is currently in the flowering currant. Little HTR has been taking dozens of waxies to the nest and this morning I noticed him going via the flowering currant. I just had a little look and saw a fledgling in there.

Unicum arbustum haud alit duos erithacos

(One bush does not shelter two Robins)

Zenodotus (3rd Century B.C.)

• Awww, gorgeous photos Gaynor, they are a happy bunch of chirpers lol I love 'em

Regards, Hazel 

• Had my first three normally raucous baby Starlings in the garden today but they were mercifully quiet ... by tomorrow they will have learnt to scream & squabble no doubt! Lol

2013 photos & vids here

eff37 on Flickr

• Get the ear plugs ready Wendy; I'm still finding it a novelty until 30 starlings land in the courtyard and then I thank goodness we are leaving the rental soon lol Unfortunately, I will be unable to feed the birds on our new balcony as we would be in danger of getting mallards on it !! Canada Geese recently hatched eggs in the water fountain which has been out of action and they've now headed off somewhere. Lots of wildlife from the huge expanse of windows at our new place so I won't be short of bird life and can even hear Goldcrests.      It was interesting to hear during the quieter lockdown that the first Stork chicks hatched down south ! 

Regards, Hazel 

• Thanks Wendy and Hazy, I haven't had any young Starling yet, good luck with your set Wendy, not too bad if the numbers stay down!! Now Hazy I know you are moving up high but no getting ideas about storks!!!!

Lot to learn

• Managed to get one of the young starlings in flight today ……..  it was just taking off from the overhead cable 

and we have a new freshly baked Spudgie muffin batch today  !!       they all headed to the fruit bowl pool for a freshen up......

Regards, Hazel 

• A good catch of the Starling ... and the bowl of Sparrowfruits

Nige   Flickr

• Brilliant shot of the Starling taking off, and like the idea of Nigel's "Sparrowfruits"!!

Lot to learn

• Thanks both, lol Gaynor, I also love the Sparrowfruits name that Nige gave them !! It doesn't take them long to gain confidence although they still spook a little; they will now hop round the courtyard within a metre of me but not any closer and they are used to the camera shutter even at high speed so pity I can't take all the birds with me as I'll miss them :(

Regards, Hazel 

• Unknown said:

Managed to get one of the young starlings in flight today ……..  it was just taking off from the overhead cable 

Fabulous photos Hazel, though at a quick glance, the first one of the starling taking off, looked almost as the poor thing was being hanged!