Fabulous garden feeders and feeding birds

Its not nice times for all of us, reserves closed, many having to go into self isolation and much more.

James, may I apologise first, with your intended house move now on hold and all your feeders taken down in preparation, I do feel for you.

I know a good many of the community members are now concentrating more on their garden birds and feeders, and I was sort of hoping that a thread dedicated to the current situation may help to take some of the sting away.

Birds, and even mammals, particularly squirrels, will frequent our feeders to get their nutrients, and some take interesting chances to get their feed, so ~I thought starting a thread where all can share their photos may just put some cheer back in the world.

An articulate magpie after a coconut half....

And lastly, a blackbird trying to get on to a feeder, almost managing  it, but not quite!

Stay safe folks, and please feel free to share, no matter how good the quality is, lets bring a smile back to this world.

• These are beautiful photos... you’re so lucky! My garden is constantly inhabited by starlings & sparrows & little else! It’s like they’ve stamped their territory & nothing else can breach the fence!! Lol x
  • Thanks Carly-Jayne
    They all get a chance but there are lots of feeders. The starlings go for all the feeders on the poles so all the little birds get peace to feed from the ones hanging in the conifers as you will see in my post ...

https://community.rspb.org.uk/wildlife/f/all-creatures/206786/in-my-garden

I used to only get 2 starlings now its like 102 lol but we would be lost without them. They are in decline!

• We had virtually no birds on the feeders yesterday, probably because they fed well the previous day (photos to come), but I did manage to get a very short clip of a wood pigeon trying and failing to get on a feeder....

Wood Pigeon Fails To Land On Feeder
    I've had this camcorder seven years, and rarely use it, but I did start to play with the settings yesterday, so who knows what  rubbish I'll capture!  Grinning
  • I think my birds are just greedy Mike. I have never seen any woodys trying to feed on my feeders but then there are plenty bits on the ground from the starlings making a mess!
    Look forward to seeing your video captures once you sus the settings lol
    Hopefully some squirrel antics!
  • I've been a bit behind posting photos for some strange reason, so catching up with some from a couple of days ago. The following photos have all been taken from behind the kitchen window, so the clarity will be poor.

The early blackbird (taken just before sun up), catches the worm....

Blue tit going for the fat ball feeder

A bird that needs no intro, the robin

A blue tit with moss, for nesting material [heavily cropped]

A wood pigeon checking out the feeders.....

A blackbird trying to get on the fat ball nugget feeder....

Action from the great tit, after a feed....

Up up and awaaaayyyy.....

Bye bye

• Linda257 said:
    I think my birds are just greedy Mike. I have never seen any woodys trying to feed on my feeders but then there are plenty bits on the ground from the starlings making a mess!
    Look forward to seeing your video captures once you sus the settings lol
    Hopefully some squirrel antics!

Wood pigeons are generally ground feeders, so the theory is, you shouldn't, but, as with all nature, its the art of survival.

• Apologies if I've duplicated this, a vid I think I omitted a few days ago, Blue Tit having a good feed!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HKGjGWh8Lsg

• I tried to post these yesterday, but hey-ho, things are nicely back to normal again. Probably just as well, I've no piccies from yesterday, the garden was deserted!

• Nice couple of shots Mike, mines was desserted yesterday too because of me planting and today I think they are all in the trees as its blowing a gale....its gonna be a long day Confused
  • Linda257 said:
    Nice couple of shots Mike, mines was desserted yesterday too because of me planting and today I think they are all in the trees as its blowing a gale....its gonna be a long day

Yesterday and the day before, things here have been very quiet. The insects may be out, which could be a reason, or the dull conditions here, and this morning, the early blackbird hasn't been seen!