Mainly Marsh Harriers

These are from Leighton Moss a week ago, when the facilities were still fully open.

Singing for spring - I couldn't quite get a clear view.

Nutty

The Harriers were showing well ... er, not sure what Harrier this is, mind.

No, really the Harriers were out in force.

A male

There were two adult males and two adult females up by Grizedale at the same time - one of the females.

A male screaming at something

Female passes in front of male

Now, the female is shouting

Got a brief glimpse of a Cetti's but didn't even manage a bad photo. Otherwise, it was relatively quiet, especially on the wildfowl front.

A Common Frog by the path - I suspect it was dying as it never moved a muscle when it should have been ducking for cover.

Did get a Snipe

The Avocets were practising extreme wading in water that marginally too deep for them. Every now and again one would capsize.

A rather colourful wader flies over the pool

• Lovely pictures Nigel and great to get the Harriers fairly close up.
    I think your first Harrier is a Hawkerlag Harrier but could be mistaken...
  • Great viewing of the Harriers Nigel. fabulous pics.
  • Lovely set Nige and always thrilling to see the MH's in flight as they quarter the marshes and busy themselves durig breeding season and I see the Pheasant was taking lessons from the Harriers lol Good selection of species and great to see the elegant Avocets including the drunkard one ! Wonder when any of us can get back to LM, all seems so unreal at the moment and shame the forum meet up in June will probably now be abandoned. Stay well all and keep your 2 metre distance.
  • Thanks all

Unknown said:
    Stay well all and keep your 2 metre distance.

I have, even when out in the countryside, and I hope it will still be an option.

• Great photos Nigel, especially the Marsh harriers. Over the years I've tried to sort out males & females & I think some of the "females" are immature 2nd Spring birds. The head is white rather than cream & there are white bits on the ends of it's remiges which indicate youngster to me. According to my book you have to look at the colours on the tail feathers to determine the sex. Food for thought anyway while you're locked at home! Keep safe!
  • I don't claim to be expert Hazel, but I knew French males were often known to be cross-dressers (Marsh Harriers that is), so I looked it up. After quite a superficial search I found a scientific paper on Harriers from Western France which can be roughly summed up as.

If the wings contain significant grey - it's male

If the tail is grey - it's male (even if the wings aren't)

Very little else can be told from plumage alone as the species is much more polymorphic than previous guides and reports suggested

If it isn't a 'typical' male then the only real way to tell is physical ie wing shape, size and jizz and not plumage (which is out of my league) or which one makes the food pass and which one receives it. Likewise the evidence seems inconclusive about estimating age, especially for those with typical 'female' colouring whether it is female or not. It's obviously more complicated or they wouldn't have needed a full report but that's the general gist Slight smile

Interestingly, they said this was more applicable to Western France. Those that migrated to Africa from N and E Europe were more typical although cross-dressing males were still known to a lesser degree, but that may be due to lack of research. Who knows what that means in the UK were they seem to be in the process of giving up migration!!!

Perhaps there are other, newer reports to consider as well but I didn't get that far.