2020 Hoggies & earlybirds on my garden trailcam!

Noticed food was disappearing but suspected rats/cats as the weather has been so dire ... had a calmish night to set up trailcam ... imagine my delight at discovering this footage

The season has begun!  Woo-hoo!!!

2019 thread here ... https://community.rspb.org.uk/wildlife/f/all-creatures/201217/hoggies-earlybirds-on-trailcam-2019/1278524#1278524

• Fabulous Wendy, two hoggies and it's only March. I saw one crossing a field fairly near here last week, it was daytime and shouldn't have been out probably but it was a good size and seemed to be making it's way across to a hedge not far away so hopefully it was healthy.
  • Great to see two hoggies, you're going to need an extension if they grow any bigger lol
  • gaynorsl said:
    I saw one crossing a field fairly near here last week, it was daytime and shouldn't have been out probably but it was a good size and seemed to be making it's way across to a hedge not far away so hopefully it was healthy.

Bit too early to be a Mum out foraging for food for youngsters which is the only good reason I know for Hoggie to be out in daylight Gaynor!

Hedgehog Bottom Berkshire clinic says ...***The Hedgehog is out during the dayHedgehogs are nocturnal animals, sleeping during the day and foraging for food late evening through to early morning. If they are out during the day there MAY be a problem. If it seems to have a purpose and is going somewhere, or has a mouthful of leaves, it is probably fine. Otherwise a hedgehog found out during daylight should be restrained in a box or cage, INDOORS, then call a rescue for advice.***

• It was over a hedge Wendy so I stood and watched it walk steadily across towards the hedge I was behind, seemed to be steady enough and not slow and wobbly. I looked around the area the next day and couldn't see any sign of it so fingers crossed. I have taken in a couple of hedgies to a local lady who tries her best, she is miles away from me so don't know about the travelling now, I wonder if they would consider it an emergency if anyone were on a rescue mission. I feel guilty now going out for a loaf of bread:-)
  • Am sure it would have been quite wobbly if ill Gaynor, please don 't feel guilty ... you have to eat!

Just found this so possibly there are many others ... www.cuanwildliferescue.org.uk/

• Cheers Wendy, I have had a quick look at that link and bookmarked it for future reference.
  • Was very surprised & pleased to discover footage showing my female gathering materials to make a nest in the box ... there was a great deal of coming & going over the two nights plus some bashing & dislodging of cam view ... the bag for life you see being 'half-inched' is the one which covered the extension lead & plugs ... wonder they still worked after cos it rained a lot ... I had to remove this bag from the box & filled in the gap with fresh straw, box was full to the lid by end of second night  ...

Last night I had changed the angle of the cam to incorporate nestbox entrance as well as the feeding station, was rewarded handsomely & quite astonished to be able to capture some lengthy courting rituals ... thought I might actually catch a mating, he was nearly successful but female wasn't ready & eventually saw him off!!

Had 43, 45 & 53 x one minute clips each of the last three nights ... takes some time to check through!!

• Brilliant footage Wendy, thanks so much for putting it up. Never seen the courting of the hedgies before, she certainly saw him off didn't she, had to laugh at the first one when she was collecting material for nesting. Could be more action tonight!!
  • Thanks Gaynor, was extremely privileged to see this action, have left cam in new position in hopes of another peek into their world ... really thought he was going to be successful! Lol
  • Fabulous footage there Wendy, and moving the hoggiecam made things even clearer.