Parkgate

Some of you may well have already seen Hazy's pics from the Parkgate Tidewatch. Here are mine, starting with the Stonechat.

Unfortunately, not a lot else came close during the high tide. Afterwards I wandered a little further down the coast and got a Great White Egret flying by. Nice to get the light through its wings.

Now, if you saw Winterwatch then you'll know Short-eared Owls are quite keen on golf and I found two on the course.

Unfortunately, they're not actually very good at it and seem to spend more time searching the rough for lost balls

Whose ball is this?

Occasionally, one would drift across the coastal path (past multiple photographers) over the saltmarsh, just in case anyone had gone out of bounds

This was all very well and beautiful to watch, but mildly frustrating because these pictures are heavily cropped as the birds maintained their distance.

Eventually, however, they did give some really nice views

I've had several attempts to get close shots this Winter, so I think we'll call that objective achieved

I did start by saying there were two, but most of these have all been the same owl. This one is much darker.

Apart from getting good Shortie shots, I've also struggled to photograph Redwing this year, so guess what was in the field behind the car park.

A whole host of them and I don't think I've ever seen such friendly Redwings. They were almost too close

Even when disturbed, they came back again almost immediately and I ended up taking the teleconverter off

Winter objective number two achieved!

Nige   Flickr

• Cracking photos Nige, thanks

Beauty is in the eye of the beholder.

• Brilliant set Nige and well done you for braving the cold and wind for much longer than we did !! You deserved the rewarding views and photos of the SEO's and Redwings, they are cracking captures. The field behind the car parking area was where we saw a Ring Ouzel a few years ago - or should I say where Marianne (Aiki) spotted it ! So always a good idea to check out that area. Lovely shot of the G Egret with that light showing through the wings, we seem to be getting more and more sightings of them these days. Redwings are the prettiest thrushes, so delicate looking as they will shortly begin their migration back to Scandinavia and areas northwards. Fine set, thanks for meeting up.

Regards, Hazel 

• Very nice captures Nige.

Jim

My Pictures

My Fbook Group

• Just fabulous!

2013 photos & vids here

eff37 on Flickr

• Wow! absolutely fantastic captures Nigel

Well done

(Pardon the Scottish Accent)

• What a pleasure to sit down and peruse your photos Nigel, it is just horrid here with wind, cloud and rain and I wondered if anyone had put up any photos at all today. Not only another Stonechat but superb SEO's and Redwing too, Thanks for brightening up my day.

Lot to learn

• Smashing pictures Nigel, not seen an SEO yet this year and the only Redwings obscured in bushes. I think their numbers are down on last year.
  • All very nice, Nigel. The Great Egret is wonderful and the SEOs are amazing. Still waiting to see one of those....arrrgh! However I have seen a solitary Redwing in our back garden several times in the last few weeks; one kindly showed up to be counted in the BGBW. But I've no idea why that bird has no friends--very odd.

Kind regards, Ann

• Thanks all.
    Weather's bad here, too, although Dennis is not as windy as Ciara, but at least it meant I had the incentive to work up and post the photos!
    I think the numbers of Winter migrants are down this year. I'm not necessarily seeing fewer Redwing here (although the locals aren't posing for photos unlike the Parkgate ones) but I've barely seen a single Redpoll so far, for example. On the opposite side, I'd guess more Marsh Harriers decided to save a trip and over-wintered in the North.
    Clearly, you need to take up golf, Ann. The Shorties will come and play with you, then!

Nige   Flickr

• Yet another brilliant set Nige, I think the luck I had before Christmas with the otters etc has transferred itself to you... long may it last for you (as long as you keep posting the lovely shots!)