Amphibians & Reptiles 2020

Kicking off this new thread with pics from my pond tonight ... very mild & light rain, actually went out to put fresh food & water out for Hoggies as I'd read that it was mild enough for them to come out of hibernation ... imagine my surprise to discover these critters 

One changed position

Looks to me as if the coupling is male on female ... what do you think!

Didn't have any females last year!

Saw some pics of spawn on FB last night at Lennon Legacy Project on the edge of Dartmoor!

2013 photos & vids here

eff37 on Flickr

• Brilliant Wendy, unless your males are bit keen I'd say there was mating going on......

Best wishes

Hazel in the Gironde estuary, France

• Hi H, have seen males up close & personal before but it was the size difference between these two which made me wonder whether a female had moved in?

2013 photos & vids here

eff37 on Flickr

• Good grief. I missed the frogs last year and only got toads. Now, I've got to start looking for frogs already??!!! I thought I'd still have a month and a bit to go. Let's hope we don't get a late beast from the east that will catch them all out.
    I think you can tell from their hands if they are male as they have special pads to help grip the female. How you get close enough to do that is another matter! Other than that, I'd agree you have got a male holding a female, so it will be interesting to see if he's just being hopeful or if she is going to spawn anytime soon.

Nige   Flickr

• I asked him for a high five but just got splashed as he leapt away! Lol

2013 photos & vids here

eff37 on Flickr

• Thats amazing Wendy, must go and have a look at our pond to see if any newts about tomorrow. We've never had frogs or spawn I guess because of the newts.

Tony

https://www.flickr.com/photos/wherryman/

• Did have a couple of newts too last year but not seen for ages!

2013 photos & vids here

eff37 on Flickr

• Still very mild here so out with the torch ... even more surprises

#4 & #5 ... have to be a mating pair?  Soooo in love they've lost their heads! Lol

Goldfish fry from last year & year before made it through winter

The smallest one about 7/10 cm

Spring is springing!!!

2013 photos & vids here

eff37 on Flickr

• Tha's a lot of froggies you got ... especially so early

Nige   Flickr

• Aren't I the lucky one Nige?

2013 photos & vids here

eff37 on Flickr

• Promise not to brag or bore you after this (unless I get more! Lol) but there's six Frogs tonight with two mating pairs ... one of which has moved to the small fishes pond ... it's a takeover!!!

#2 & #3 ... some debate as to whether my Frogs are gay?    My Papyrus sedge showing in this pic, never seen Frogs on it before!

#5 & #6 original mating pair ... think this is the real thing!

No long grass in this pond, just Irises & Marsh Marigold!

2013 photos & vids here

eff37 on Flickr