A few from Pennington

These are from a few days ago during a brief spell of sunniness. The Herons seem to be spending more time up in the trees as if getting ready for their early nesting, although I've not seen one carrying any nesting material just yet.

Continued high water levels mean the Cormorants are still determined to struggle up onto the perches meant for Kingfishers as one of the few dry places to rest 

Robins are singing

It's still Winter for the Walters though, as that's the only time they come out of hiding. This one is hunting over an area that has been flooded several times already which is why everything is covered in black mud

This is also when the Reed Bunting show well in numbers

Lots of Lollipops around too

I have no idea how this one has lost its longest tail feathers but a short-tailed Long-tailed Tit is a rather sad sight!

It didn't seem to be impeded in any way by the under-endowment, though.

• Great pics Nige, lovely lollipops, not seen any in garden yet this year!
  • Wonderful additions from Pennington with those close ups of the Robin, Reed Buntings and Lollies and glad the Rail is showing, they are elusive little blighters ! That 2nd photo of the RB is a cracker. Poor Lolly doesn't look the same without his/her full length tail ! now a "gobstopper" rather than a "lollipop" lol
  • Super set Nige (and thanks for the ID on the thread I'm about to post.... it's not a LBJ after all lol
  • Brilliant photos Nige, the ST-LTT seems to look generally healthy enough, so perhaps the tail will grow back

I love the shot of the cormorant coming out of the water on the the kingfisher stake, that is well captured

• Thanks all
    I don't get Lollipops in the garden any more, since the council ripped out the nearby hawthorns, so it's nice to catch up with them at Pennington.
    I hadn't thought Lolly would be a gobstopper ... but you're right, Hazy
    Perfectly timed then, PB
    Fortunately, Mike, it's obvious when the Cormorants are considering a jump up so all you have to do is focus, wait and click when they go.
  • Unknown said:
    Thanks all

Fortunately, Mike, it's obvious when the Cormorants are considering a jump up so all you have to do is focus, wait and click when they go.

I will admit, my issue with photographing cormorants is they tend to be at the far end of the water at the reserves I visit, so getting super shots like that will be luxury.
    But I still admire the detail in your photo irrespective, that is crystal clear. Thumbsup
  • Lovely pics, Nigel. Especially love the adorable LTTs, even the one with the short tail, not forgetting the beautiful Robin, Rail and Reed Bunting. Cormorants and Heron are nice as well--thanks. We had 3 LTTs here a week or two ago but today only 2 appeared to be counted. But I'll watch again tomorrow and on Monday for an hour and submit the best hour! Monday is supposed to be cold and sunny for part of the day here, so that might give me more birds during the hour. (But today might yet prove to have the best result with both a male and a female Great Spotted Woodpecker, and even both at the very same time on adjoining suet feeders, one with pellets and one with a block.)
  • Oh I do like the Robin close-up Nigel, also the LTT even without tail is a cracking photo. Good to see Walter striding out and the Reed Bunting too is a good capture.
    Thanks Ann for reminding me of the GBW this weekend, I had a female Blackcap in today, so hope to get a chance of a pic tomorrow.
  • Good luck, Gaynor, I hope your Blackcap comes back to be counted! We hadn't had one in our previous garden for several years and we've only had this place since the spring--haven't seen one here either.
  • Thanks both.
    LTTs tend to make good photos when you get the opportunity and the Robin was in nice light as it sung away.
    Good luck with your counts, even second or third attempts, and I hope your Blackcap turns up again. I managed to spot an over-wintering Chiffchaff the other day, but not in the garden.