Butterflies & Moths 2020

Hi All, I took an executive decision & decided to amalgamate the Butterfly & Moth threads which may make it easier to find if it's used more!

These are the old threads from 2019 Beautiful butterflies https://community.rspb.org.uk/wildlife/f/all-creatures/200195/beautiful-butterflies-2019#pifragment-4285=1

& Mostly Moths https://community.rspb.org.uk/wildlife/f/all-creatures/198118/mostly-moths-2019/1273216#pifragment-4285=1

To start us off here are a few from the recent traps & wine rope,

this is a lovely Satelite from the 8th january

Best wishes

Hazel in Southwest France

• lol Hazel,

Not a happy time for us all and my favourite time of the year usually. We haven't yet got the document to be signed, but could happen I'm sure.

Lot to learn

• Our version of Speckled wood, quite different to the UK one

& a nice moth for Wendy

Moth traps at home are going OK, but mostly it's too cold at night. I can't wait to get back to the woods. Stuck at home till the 15th April now. I can't really se why I can't go out on my own to the woods, but a fine of 135 euros say's why!

Best wishes

• Lovely H, had my EM lure out on past three sunny afternoons but no luck ... now got wet in unexpected rain! Grrrrr
    Seems silly not to be allowed to go somewhere isolated ... same here with non-essential car trios to watch wildlife on near coastal sites from safety of car ... madness!

2013 photos & vids here

eff37 on Flickr

• Saw this flitting about in the sun a couple of weeks ago but it didn't land in the best position for a photo ... an Orange Underwing … probably

At the same time, I got my only two shots of butterflies this year so far, both within a couple of feet of each other and within a few yards of the Underwing, including a rather dishevelled Comma

And a less tatty but still slightly worn Peacock

I've since seen several Tortoiseshells but none who would pose

Nige   Flickr

• Lovely Orange underwing Nigel, not seen one for years.

Best wishes

• A Brimstone, Small Tortoiseshell & Peacock have appeared in the last week or two. Grin

• A few more from the last week or so, we don't get Small Tortoishell very often, but do see these, a tatty Large

our version of Speckled wood

a Green-veined white

Orange tip in the garden on Aubretia

& at the same time 3 HBHM, only 2 in the photo

Confinement isn't so bad after all, we're very lucky to have a garden & some nice walks within our 1km limit. Keep safe all.

Best wishes

• Lovely sightings H!
    Was lucky to see absolutely pristine Peacock yesterday ... no cam handy of course but looked like a jewel in the sun!

2013 photos & vids here

eff37 on Flickr

• Funnily enough we were saying today that we haven't seen a lot of Peacocks this year, in fact butterfly numbers in the garden seem to be down generally. I don't know if it's a trend.

Best wishes

• Not been outside enough during the last couple of sunny days for various reasons, saw my Peacock through the window ... rainy tomorrow so pick up again Tuesday with luck!

2013 photos & vids here

eff37 on Flickr