Butterflies & Moths 2020

Hi All, I took an executive decision & decided to amalgamate the Butterfly & Moth threads which may make it easier to find if it's used more!

These are the old threads from 2019 Beautiful butterflies https://community.rspb.org.uk/wildlife/f/all-creatures/200195/beautiful-butterflies-2019#pifragment-4285=1

& Mostly Moths https://community.rspb.org.uk/wildlife/f/all-creatures/198118/mostly-moths-2019/1273216#pifragment-4285=1

To start us off here are a few from the recent traps & wine rope,

this is a lovely Satelite from the 8th january

Best wishes

Hazel in Southwest France

• Morning Wendy, ooops have radio on and must apologise, you were right!!!!! Bank Hol today, o'h well it won't make much difference to me, I won't be sunning myself on the beach just at the moment:-)
    Thanks CinJ for your post, there seem to be a few Green Veined around at the moment just as there were a good number of Orange Tipped a few weeks ago, they seem to have moved on now. I was lucky to see the Elephant Hawk as it was visiting next door and my neighbour alerted me.

Lot to learn

• I haven't a clue either what day is what! Belatedly here are a few of the moths from last week, Bordered white, almost always poses closed,

Figure of Eighty

Blotched Emerald for Wendy as she likes the green one's (me too), with "Aleimma loeflingiana" in the background,

a Lesser Belle (I think it's lovely so the Lesser must mean it's small size,

a couple of Lobster Moths hanging around

a few of this micro Alabonia geoffrella

& another which is probably Batia lambdella from it's size (measured from the sheet it's on)

& finally this one at home yesterday morning, I was going to get up at 5,15am but couldn't sleep so up earlier & caught this Eyed Hawkmoth flying around at dawn

Listened to our recording of the Tim Brooke-Taylor tribute on the radio last night, made me laugh & cry too. Must try & listen the repeats of the series he was in, that'll keep the spirits up. Better than watching the news anyhow.

Stay safe & stay happy all.

Best wishes

Hazel in Southwest France

• I'm getting drawn in to this moth watching, they are beautiful creatures, would need to learn Latin to id them though:-)

Lot to learn

• Lovely moth selection H especially those micros, didn't remember about TB- T, tending to block out the bad, sad events!   Also I find that not chatting to folk so often makes these happenings easily forgotten!
    Gaynor, don't need the Latin ... just ask H! Lol

2013 photos & vids here

eff37 on Flickr

• Great pics and updates H, G and W, stunning looking moths

Regards, Hazel 

• I'm definitely part of the club, though probably parttime for now, cos I don't know how long before the next proper sighting comes along....

A small white having a feed on some juvenile (only planted a couple of weeks back) erysimum plants.

• Hi all,

Could I ask.for an ID please?

Here's a photo:-

Thank you

Russ

• Mint moth Russ, very pretty !

2013 photos & vids here

eff37 on Flickr

• Great thanks Wendy. I like mints!
  • A pretty little one on my wall this morning. Around 2cm