Butterflies & Moths 2020

Hi All, I took an executive decision & decided to amalgamate the Butterfly & Moth threads which may make it easier to find if it's used more!

These are the old threads from 2019 Beautiful butterflies https://community.rspb.org.uk/wildlife/f/all-creatures/200195/beautiful-butterflies-2019#pifragment-4285=1

& Mostly Moths https://community.rspb.org.uk/wildlife/f/all-creatures/198118/mostly-moths-2019/1273216#pifragment-4285=1

To start us off here are a few from the recent traps & wine rope,

this is a lovely Satelite from the 8th january

• Fabulous photos folks, I've still yet to get a photo of a butterfly or moth, they're around, but nowt enticing them into the garden.

Noisette: RSPB Conwy, on of the reserves I regularly visit, they have a lot of six spot burnett moths, and they look dazzling in the sun. Sadly I very much doubt I'll get to see them this year.

• Thank you Noisette, Those suggested id's really helped. Your point about the dew was spot on, how interesting.

Love seeing your Frits, sadly a butterfly that is missing in Jersey.

CinJ
  • Caroline, so sorry your butterfly trip to Croatia won't now happen. I was looking forward to what you would see. You must be gutted. - hopefully, next year.

Gorgeous pics of the Frits, Hazel

• Unknown said:

Caroline, so sorry your butterfly trip to Croatia won't now happen. I was looking forward to what you would see. You must be gutted. - hopefully, next year.

Very disappointed but have accepted offer for next year so fingers are firmly crossed that this all starts to sort itself out 

CinJ

• Well, if things look up by September you can always pop the dog in the camper & come over to France to see some of ours. I know it's looking on the bright side, but you have to in these difficult times.
    Deconfinement isn't all it's cracked up to be. We've tried shopping but didn't like it much. Wearing masks is horrible. I stopped to let some-one go past & they looked at me, I smiled back, a waste of time with a mask on! LOL. I feel very sorry for the hard of hearing, no lip-reading now & it's harder anyway to hear whats being said. At least we can go anywhere we want for our walks, a big bonus.
  • Fortunately am in no hurry to join the rest of the world H, quite content with my garden & life in the quarry ... all birds & sunshine & blue skies plus this beauty dug up by my neighbour & been residing in a pot on my dining table ... may only be a common LYU but so lovely when pristine & it flew away very strongly

Very pleasing light coloured version & such bright beady eyes!

• They are striking & so variable too. I had 48 in my trap a few mornings ago, I managed to get them counted before one of them went balistic & got all the other one's going mad too. There's always one isn't there, woke them all up!
    I agree with you Wendy, much safer at home. There are plenty of things to do. I did another trap in the woods a couple of nights ago, enough moths to keep me at the computer for a few hours.
  • Look forward to your pics H ... take care & stay safe!
  • Just heard tonight that the numbers are rising in this part of the country, we are in the north west so I'm not surprised.    Will be staying home until this next holiday is over.   Took a couple of photos the other day,

Is it Green veined white Pieris?

Sorry not as good as they should be, need practice with these butterflies:-)

• This bank holiday has come as a bit of a surprise to me Gaynor, losing track with every day becoming much the same, can't even rely on regular tip runs to break it up a bit as only allowed one per calendar month ... used to be a highlight of my week! Lol