Add your "Odds & Sods" here thread ... 2020

Starting with a first for me ... Sparrowhawk in neighbour's garden here in quarry, only ever seen a seemingly lost youngster many years ago!

Grabbed ID vid footage through d/glazed door, then battery died & by time I'd replaced it to go outside for better res a delivery driver stopped next door & frightened the bird off!! grrrrrr

Hope it's a one-off for the sake of my Spadger horde!

2019 thread here ... https://community.rspb.org.uk/wildlife/f/all-creatures/196421/add-your-odds-sods-here-thread/1275306#1275306

2013 photos & vids here

eff37 on Flickr

• stunning shots Clare, that L.Egret's plumage and yellow feet show up so well and also the attractive young BHG.

Regards, Hazel 

• It's a black-headed gull, by the way.

Our herring gulls are red listed birds.  Think about that the next time you hear some flaming idiot calling for a cull of them.

• Apologies Clare, it was a typo, sorry ! will correct it.

Regards, Hazel 

• No need to apologise for a typo, Hazy. A whoops will do.

Glad you like the photos! It was a really windy day and most birds were sheltering somewhere too far away for my camera - but happily these two were far more obliging.

Our herring gulls are red listed birds.  Think about that the next time you hear some flaming idiot calling for a cull of them.

• Nice pictures Clare, the fist shows the lovely patterns the feathers make (if you know what I mean) and the second the nice colourings.

Beauty is in the eye of the beholder.

• Lovely pics, Clare. I love the yellow wellies of the Little Egrets as well as their glorious plumage. It was similar frilly feathers on similar Egrets which Victorian and Edwardian ladies wanted on their hats. Confusingly, the feather trade called those feathers ospreys and the feather trade nearly resulted in the extinction of those Egrets. Of course, the feathers of other species of birds as well as whole bird carcasses were used to 'adorn' hats as well, leading to the killing of possibly millions of birds. Luckily, groups like the RSPB (and the Audubon Society in the USA) among others were formed by people who were appalled by such unnecessary slaughter. Unfortunately, the slaughter of wildlife continues around the world in the interest of expanding farmland in many places, and of building ever more houses on what was formerly land where nature could flourish. But the fight goes on. If what another poster on these threads refers to as the Orange Menace is re-elected, what few remaining protections there are for wildlife and nature in the States will completely disappear and big business will be given a completely free hand to do whatever they please with impunity. What a fine example he is making to the world (NOT!)

Kind regards, Ann

• Clare that pic of the L. Egret jumped out at me as I scrolled down the page, what a beauty and your photo shows it off beautifully, also the waves splashing in behind the BH Gull show it off perfectly, lovely.

Lot to learn

• gaynorsl said:
    the waves splashing in behind the BH Gull show it off perfectly,

Not bad waves for a reservoir, eh?

• Quite a chop on there then!!!!

Lot to learn

• Yup!