Add your "Odds & Sods" here thread ... 2020

Starting with a first for me ... Sparrowhawk in neighbour's garden here in quarry, only ever seen a seemingly lost youngster many years ago!

Grabbed ID vid footage through d/glazed door, then battery died & by time I'd replaced it to go outside for better res a delivery driver stopped next door & frightened the bird off!! grrrrrr

Hope it's a one-off for the sake of my Spadger horde!

2019 thread here ... https://community.rspb.org.uk/wildlife/f/all-creatures/196421/add-your-odds-sods-here-thread/1275306#1275306

• A bit of a rarity, a hare that comes to you rather than high tailing it in the other direction. Still, I'm not one to complain, in the local fields this morning.

• That' a beauty Bob and although we do have Hare's in our immediate farmland area, I haven't seen one for a couple of weeks.      

Took a couple of hours walk this afternoon so here are a few piccies …….       

A lapwing calling;   there were three together in the horse paddock .........

and a very distant Linnet ….      and a Tree Sparrow was in the same area although no photo worth showing 

and an even more distant Skylark  

Lot's of Small Tortoiseshell butterflies which I have put on the other thread but I'll add one here 

A robin was lurking in the dark tree canopy ............

and when we returned to the courtyard .............   this pesky critter was there ! 

Don't even think about jumping down into the courtyard Cyril   !!       clear orfff   

• I bet the horse field is also one of the reasons why you've got Martins - all those tasty dung flies!

Unknown said:
    and when we returned to the courtyard .............   this pesky critter was there ! 

It's probably taken it this long to track you down from the last house! I reckon, by tomorrow, there'll be three of them on the wall ... just watching!

• Lol Nige !! there are two squirrels and we are only two and half miles from The Laurels so they wouldn't even need a sat-nav ! Re Martins, lots of 'orse-poo around here and there are a lot of bridle ways which are used regularly; love the chattering HM's - they sound like budgerigars when they are together at the nest lol
  • Just when you thought it was safe to go back in the garden.!!

• I bet you're enjoying these nice peacefully sunny days Paul, with that lot about lol!
  • Unknown said:
    Good video capture of the ISS, did you get to see "Crew Dragon" launch, it was amazing. Mike tried to spot it (and the ISS at 10.11pm) at 10.16pm as it was catching up with the ISS but sadly it wasn't visible.

Thank you.

Yes I did see the launch, and the docking, watching it on the NASA app on my wife's mobile.

If you try tonight, Monday 01 June, between 22:09 - 22:17 (10:09pm - 10:17pm), looking over to the far edge of the southwest sky, it will be travelling from west to south. I've included the skychart showing the pass from Heavens Above app on the phone: www.heavens-above.com, 

It should give you an idea of how far over you need to be looking.

• Brilliant photos Hazel and Paul.

Paul, it looks like you've had a population explosion, and need a bigger bird bath!

• The menacing magpie (see Menacing Magpie for hire: https://community.rspb.org.uk/wildlife/f/all-creatures/208106/menacing-magpie-for-hire/1300087#1300087), barking away from a nearby leylandii

Once again, another overhead pass from a buzzard

• @ Paul, had such a good laugh looking at the starlings, you're going to need a larger bath at this rate ! lol

@ Mike thanks for the info on ISS,