Red Squirrels at Plas Newydd

After the excitement of getting a  photo or two, or four, or more, of a kingfisher, and then the following day photos of a heron grabbing an eel for lunch, see posts The Spinnies, Aber Ogwen, Bangor 01 Nov 2019 & The Spinnies, Aber Ogwen, Bangor 02 Nov 2019the rest of the week in North Wales paled into insignificance......

So here they are, a selection of photos of one little red squirrel enjoying a late afternoon feed before dusk at Plas Newydd.

Mike

Flickr Peak Rambler

  • Schön, Mike.

    Had some very close-up time with Red Squirrels this year. Super animals.

    Dave
  • Beautiful Mike

    My Flickr photos

  • Beautiful set of photos Mike; what a cutie pie, still haven't seen a red squirrel in UK; last one I saw was in a park in Warsaw, Poland …. and it had a snow on its ears and nose !

    _________________________________________________________________________

    Regards, Hazel 

    "Each kindness shown to birds or men is sure to flutter back again" 

  • In reply to HAZY:

    HAZY said:
    snow on its ears and nose

    'Harold and Maude' (our local pair) were back in the garden today accompanied by a bold Jay. Plenty of snow on ears and noses here as we have our first fall, around 4 inches.

  • In reply to Dave - CH:

    Dave - CH said:
    Schön, Mike.

    Had some very close-up time with Red Squirrels this year. Super animals.

    Dave

    I love the cheeky little faces they have.

    Sadly, it is only Plas Newydd where I see reds this far south.

    I'm hoping next year to go and stay with a family friend in Kingussie, near Aviemore, in Scotland, there is an abundance of reds up there, and of course, a reserve or two while I'm there....

    Mike

    Flickr Peak Rambler

  • In reply to Dave - CH:

    Dave - CH said:

    HAZY said:
    snow on its ears and nose

    'Harold and Maude' (our local pair) were back in the garden today accompanied by a bold Jay. Plenty of snow on ears and noses here as we have our first fall, around 4 inches.

    Aww lovely.

    We have a few greys here, and I have to say, while I'm not a fan of greys, not their fault, nor would I set out to harm them, but I do admire their cheeky nature as well.

    Mike

    Flickr Peak Rambler

  • They are, indeed, super Mike.

    I handled a, sadly, orphaned broom at the rehab center this year. Trying to get five back in an aviary was, almost literally, like trying to get tootpaste back in its tube.

    Got bitten for my pains, but they were chirpy, and not at all grudge-bearing.

    Play Newydd's an interesting place. The one time location of off-ship lessons for Conway boys, who were serving their apprenticeships as, for some, future master mariners, on the Conway, before it ran aground and 'was burned'.

    Great view of the Straits from there too.
  • In reply to HAZY:

    HAZY said:
    Beautiful set of photos Mike; what a cutie pie, still haven't seen a red squirrel in UK; last one I saw was in a park in Warsaw, Poland …. and it had a snow on its ears and nose !

    Thank you. I bet that looked cute, a red squirrel with snow on its nose and ears.

    The reds are thriving on Anglesey, but only after a lot of work to eradicate the resident greys.

    There are some small pockets in England, but not many and they are under threat of extinction. However, Scotland the reds seem to thrive and I believe Northumberland, but don't quote me on that.

    Mike

    Flickr Peak Rambler

  • In reply to Mike B:

    Agreed Mike.

    We don't have greys here, but there's a lot to admire, even in animals that one, perhaps, finds intrusive.

    Having watched Magpies raiding nests for youngsters, I---personally---still feel a lot of tenderness toward them when they're in trouble, and I've got them between my own two hands.

    Anyway.... enough for this evening from me. Snow's coming down, on squirrels and all an sundry. Time for dinner.

    All the best -
    Dave
  • In reply to Dave - CH:

    Dave - CH said:
    They are, indeed, super Mike.

    I handled a, sadly, orphaned broom at the rehab center this year. Trying to get five back in an aviary was, almost literally, like trying to get tootpaste back in its tube.

    Got bitten for my pains, but they were chirpy, and not at all grudge-bearing.

    Play Newydd's an interesting place. The one time location of off-ship lessons for Conway boys, who were serving their apprenticeships as, for some, future master mariners, on the Conway, before it ran aground and 'was burned'.

    Great view of the Straits from there too.

    That sounds like fun, and I don't mean laughing fun either...

    There is mention of the Conway boys, and HMS Conway in the house, in a room near to the cafe in the house after a tour of the house.

    The views across the Menai towards the Carneddau, and Glyderau are fabulous.

    Mike

    Flickr Peak Rambler