Garden birds

New here and looking for advice and help  My garden used to be full of birds but since I've had to fell 3 trees they've all disappeared and I'm devastated ! 

My question is, does this sound odd and how can I get them to come back? I've been putting out lots of fresh food but they're not returning  

Amongst the species were, nuthatch, chaffinch, tits, sparrows etc etc.

Regards 

Stuart 

• He Stuart, welcome form up in Caithness at the very top of Scotland. Could you hang some feeders from hooks on the fir trees and maybe the Leylandi. Even thrown seed onto the grass or soil. It is just this last while that the birds have returned and only today I notice the green finches and all the finches have come back. They will soon find the food and once you can establish some more cover, they will be back. Try sunflower hearts, that is a favourite and then maybe some peanuts, seed and Niger seed. Good luck.
  • Hello Catlady and hello Caithness,

I've still got my original feeders and I have bought tons of bird seed and nuts all over.
    I might try hanging additional feeders on the firs to see if that makes a difference.

Thanks
  • Thank you Dave, I think that where I'm going wrong, I actually moved my feeder closer to the house so I could get a better view of the birds. Sadly that hasn't happened.
    Perhaps the way forward may be to move the feeder nearer the fir trees and see if that makes any difference, I'll give it a try
    The weather here in Durham has turned a lot cooler but still no visable sign of bird activity.