Bird of Prey pictures?

Is there a thread for your Bird of Prey pictures on here? I couldn't seem to find one and would love to see your pics (I don't have any - must try harder) so please share

•  Sparrowhawk (f?) looking rather cross on my trellis fencing.

• Angus, Thanks for the scrubs pics. Well done to both you and your Mrs.
    Nev, Welcome to the forum and thanks for the bird of prey photos. You may or may not have already discovered that there is also a Mammals thread somewhere on this forum as well. Not sure if it has been used recently, so might be a chore finding it but you could just start one for 2020.

Kind regards, Ann

• All I can say is Wow, fancy having a box full of Kestrels at the bottom of your garden!!! Our Kestrel lady Wendy will be wanting to hire that box of yours Angus.

Lot to learn

• I most certainly do Gaynor!! Great story * pics Nev, just green with envy here, used to have four fledglings every year from before 2006 when I moved here & carried on up to 2012 then went pear-shaped in terrible rainstorms in 2013 when we had to rescue the last abandoned chick from nesthole in chalk quarry ... no more nesting since! Did buy a new nestbox several years ago but never installed as a neighbbour vehently object ... well, that neighbour has moved away so maybe get another box as gave the last one to local nature reserve!

2013 photos & vids here

eff37 on Flickr

•  This could explain the shortage of Collared Doves recently.  A loud bang on my conservatory window alerted me to this scene on my lawn last year.  S. Hawks (m&f) are regular winter visitors to my garden, sometimes several times a day.

Some years ago now my niece's husband arrived at my house around 8am to quote for a new conservatory.  He had not been here before (they live 55 miles away),  he was impressed by my rural location and was looking through my kitchen window at my bird feeding station.  " Yes", said I "we often get Sparrowhawks as well".  I'm sure you can guess what flew in two seconds later and landed on the fence in search of his breakfast.

• Nev said:

This could explain the shortage of Collared Doves recently.  A loud bang on my conservatory window alerted me to this scene on my lawn last year.  S. Hawks (m&f) are regular winter visitors to my garden, sometimes several times a day.

Some years ago now my niece's husband arrived at my house around 8am to quote for a new conservatory.  He had not been here before (they live 55 miles away),  he was impressed by my rural location and was looking through my kitchen window at my bird feeding station.  " Yes", said I "we often get Sparrowhawks as well".  I'm sure you can guess what flew in two seconds later and landed on the fence in search of his breakfast.

What a fabulous capture Thumbsup

• I know its a bird of prey but not clear enough for me which kind..taken from my orchard these days of confinment in Southern Spain..

https://community.rspb.org.uk/wildlife/f/wildlife-questions/204686/help-to-attract-wildlife-please/1262467#1262467

• May be the raptor had just
    hunted a chough?

https://community.rspb.org.uk/wildlife/f/wildlife-questions/204686/help-to-attract-wildlife-please/1262467#1262467

• Thanks for the positive comments about my BoP pics. I find the Sp. Hawk visits fascinating, it is either a two second dash through the garden at breakneck speed or a thorough investigation of a shrub where he/she has spotted a tasty snack.

Nev.
  •  Not such a nice picture this time.  I found this in Feb of this year about a mile from home, 6 month old male which had been ringed a few kilometres from home.  BTO ring and they were informed obviously.  Carcass was sent to the Predatory Bird Monitoring Scheme (pbms.ceh.ac.uk) for post mortem, they have not yet been able to send me a report because of the current pandemic.

Probable cause of death is malnutrition.

I have a Barn Owl box in an old Ash tree in front of my house which has been very successful over the years but currently the box is empty.  I am convinced that the very wet 2019 had a drastic effect on small mammal's ability to find suitable nesting sites which has contributed to an increase in owl mortality.

Has anyone else observed anything similar?

Nev.