So.…. 1st day of 4

That I'm off work, and Mrs PB isn't....with No Chores to do

A colleague at work said about an urban nature reserve, near Bournemouth, further down the Stour toward the coast, so I thought why not!? According to the SatNav it was a 20 mile drive down there (once I knew where it was it was only a 15 mile drive back!) so I trundled down after brekkie

First thing I saw was a perched cormorant that took no notice of me or the dog walkers on the path, no more than 10 yards away

The website had said about otter and kingfisher being present, but I didn't hold my breath (which was just as well, as it turned out!)

was a pleasant walk along the river, but there was little to see, unfortunately, the highlight being a single goosey-merganser

I did catch glimpse of the kingfisher as it flew away from me. It comes to something when cormorant has the highest count of birds on/by the river (there were 2 pairs and another single flew over!)

A little disappointed I realised that practically on the way home is Longham Lakes, where the newly named American Black Tern was last week, and apparently was still there yesterday, so a minor detour later (still was 5 miles less than SatNav!) I decanted at Longham Lakes. A light mizzle was in the air so I didn't hold out much hope.

Jenny started things off nicely 

followed by a pair of Great Crested Grebes (a bit distant) on North Lake

In my wisdom i decided to go the other way round South Lake from my previous visits... and just so you know, I didn't get at all disorientated in relation to where I thought anything else was!!

Well, the Americam Black Tern is still there, you can tell it's American, it has a big hat, big cigar and a stars and stripes cape on. Or not. It does, however, look much darker than my last visit...and I may have got carried away with my trigger finger, so sorry!

Right Tern Hahahaaaaaa

That Tom Cruise has got nothing on me....

Oooooh....Lunch 

(you may need to zoom in, but the bug is now in his beak!).... obviously, I knew the bug was there when I took the shot and didn't not notice it til I got home!!

Hope there's not too many tern shots, but I thought he was a phenomenal flier and just kept snapping lol

• Can there ever be too many tern shots, PB?

If I were to take a Soylent Green-style way out of this world, I would be accompanied by footage of terns. Could watch them forever.

Thanks for sharing -
    Dave
  • LOL PB, wonderful thread and commentary ! what a fantastic day out you experienced and to finish with the Black Tern doesn't come much better. As Dave says, can never be enough photos when you have such a special bird around.

Regards, Hazel 

"Each kindness shown to birds or men is sure to flutter back again" 

• In reply to Dave - CH:

Thanks Dave.... I had to look up Soylent Green, but the Wiki write-up sounds a bit close to modern day!!
  • In reply to HAZY:

Thanks Hazel ;o) .... I ended up taking 400 all told, about 150 of the tern, but he was so quick and twisty turny probably 1/3 are missing him altogether or just a blur and another 1/3 are too distant or slightly too out of focus to be worth cropping. I found a nice spot to watch though, even when the camera was tucked away coz the mizzle got heavier, with nearly 180 degree sight from about 40 yards away before the rushes and reeds blocked vision of the lake
  • In reply to PimperneBloke:

Heavens PB, what would our culture be without Soylent Green. I'd suggest you watch it, borrow it, stream it, or whatever. A very interesting film.

Dave
  • Nice set PB. I agree with everyone else, you can never have too many Tern shots.

My bird photos HERE

• Thanks for sharing your day out PB, lovely photos.

Beauty is in the eye of the beholder.

• Yep, I agree with all of them, PB! The more Terns, the merrier.

Kind regards, 

Ann

• Never too many PB, great shots not only of the Tern but the Merganser and Cormorant are also pretty special.

Lot to learn

• In reply to Dave - CH:

Dave - CH said:
    Heavens PB, what would our culture be without Soylent Green. I'd suggest you watch it, borrow it, stream it, or whatever. A very interesting film.

Dave

Seen it several times & suits my sense of humour & outlook on life (or death) ! LOL

Great shots of the Tern PB & enjoyed the commentary too.

Best wishes

Hazel in the Gironde estuary, France