Hartington and Biggin Dale walk

Weather turned out better than expected today as we headed to Derbyshire and the quaint village of Hartington where we took a walk down to the River Dove as far as Biggin Dale turn off, then circular route back to the village again which was around 5 and half plus miles.     Long time since we got a decent walk in so bones were complaining and even though we had comfortable walking shoes our toes and feet were grumbling at the end when there is a long walk up a gentle gradient.      To be honest there were very few small birds being that in-between season and end of moult and although a passer-by told us they had seen a Dipper we did not see it.     We saw and heard more than I managed to photograph;  I am struggling a bit with the camera as my eyes have deteriorated despite having had new prescription for glasses a few months ago.   It's a bind juggling between glasses, binoculars and then camera viewfinder as often the bird is gone before I can get some sort of lock on the focus and I am having to change to my other eye in the viewfinder which is like asking someone right handed to write with the left    !!   However, here are a few quick pics.      It was good to see a lot of butterflies including pristine Painted Lady, Comma, Small Tortie and a couple of Speckled Woods and quite a few dragonflies - Common Darter methinks.    Anyway, here we go...……..

First a quick view of the start of our walk from Hartington village across pasture towards the woodland and River Dove.  (taken on old iPhone)

There were a few Common Buzzards in the air and a nice blue sky for much of the time

Eagle-eyed Mike spotted something distant up on a bare twig …        Great Spotted Woodpecker (f)

Two Grey Wagtails were seen on the River Dove - reminded me of Wilma as this is also a female.  

I tried my best to get Kestrel photos for Wendy but alas they sped off too quickly -   not the best but ….

There were lots of butterflies and what I think were Common Darters

There were still pristine looking varieties including this Painted Lady ….

and a hard cropped showing that tongue extracting the nectar  !

Lots of sheep grazing by the Dove and along Biggin Dale …..     this one made me laugh as it posed for photos

"Hey Mrs ….. like my new earrings ?  "  

take a closer look Mrs I have different coloured earrings …..    

I told it.....  " they look more like Klippits to me which I use to fasten up my sandwiches in polythene bags  ! "

Dragonfly who found a tasty meal which I'll show you in 2nd photo       Common Darter methinks ?

Small tortie butterfly in pristine condition 

couldn't come home without a photo for Paul (MC)    !!    BDR   (Biggin Dale Robin)  

and the last stretch of the walk towards Hartington - just over the brow of the constant incline and finally heading downwards

Right, time for a cuppa so will leave it there.      Thanks for viewing.

Parents
  • Thanks everyone,
    @ Mike, yes, we started off at Hartington village, down to Beresford dale, Wolfscote dale and turned left for Biggin Dale ! On another visit we started at Dovedale - Milldale but as you say, it is a very touristy area so Hartington is our preferred option. Tissington Trail is also another great walk.
  • Thanks everyone,
    @ Mike, yes, we started off at Hartington village, down to Beresford dale, Wolfscote dale and turned left for Biggin Dale ! On another visit we started at Dovedale - Milldale but as you say, it is a very touristy area so Hartington is our preferred option. Tissington Trail is also another great walk.
Children
No Data