Dazzling Damsels and Dragons 2019

This thread is for anything to do with Damselflies, Dragonflies and Demoiselles. Anyone is welcome to post in it.

The 2018 thread is HERE

• Thanks Mike

Michael B said:
    I'm curious what camera setting you used, I'll have a nosey on your Flickr page.

Ah, there you have me. I'm seriously behind on uploading to Flickr, so you won't find any of these there yet. The details are

Camera: Nikon D500

Lens: I started with a 70-200mm but when I realised how close it was getting I switched to a 105mm Macro + x2 teleconverter (I would have missed the last one for sure if I hadn't done that), Group focusing mode (same as I use for bird-in-flight), Aperture priority at f8 because I thought I'd need some depth of field but still wanted a fast shutter speed.

Using ISO 1600 I was getting speeds between 1/640 and 1/1000 so after the first couple I switched to ISO 2500 to make sure the speed was between 1/1000 and 1/1600 to try and maximise resolution in the wings. It would be interesting to try max aperture to get even higher shutter speeds, but I guess that may well have to wait until next year, now!

• Over my head all the camera settings I just think the photos are beautiful Nigel, well done for sitting so still and letting the target species get so close to you without moving, that last shot is one in a million I'm sure. Glad you didn't get a case of the hiccups:-)
  • with my sony A7r2 im only using an 18-240mm f3.5-6 lens usually around ISO 250 and shutter speed of 5/600 and aperture of 10(ish)
  • andy carson said:
    cheers Mike, had some luck they were about for a while and were laying eggs on the jetty....

You're welcome Andy.

Capturing the laying of eggs isn't easy, especially as some dart about, which often means trying to pre-empt where they'll be next and getting the AF locked on to a suitable spot.

• Unknown said:

Thanks Mike

Michael B said:
    I'm curious what camera setting you used, I'll have a nosey on your Flickr page.

Ah, there you have me. I'm seriously behind on uploading to Flickr, so you won't find any of these there yet. The details are

Camera: Nikon D500

Lens: I started with a 70-200mm but when I realised how close it was getting I switched to a 105mm Macro + x2 teleconverter (I would have missed the last one for sure if I hadn't done that), Group focusing mode (same as I use for bird-in-flight), Aperture priority at f8 because I thought I'd need some depth of field but still wanted a fast shutter speed.

Using ISO 1600 I was getting speeds between 1/640 and 1/1000 so after the first couple I switched to ISO 2500 to make sure the speed was between 1/1000 and 1/1600 to try and maximise resolution in the wings. It would be interesting to try max aperture to get even higher shutter speeds, but I guess that may well have to wait until next year, now!

You're welcome Nige.

I had a look at the specs for the D500, pretty good and far better in some aspects than my old 750D.

This year I have made an effort to capture wildlife in action as much as possible, with the expected results and many discarded photos.

However, one challenge I rose to was capturing banded damsels in flight, which involved playing with various shutter speeds, upto 1/4000 max on the 750D, and still struggling o get crystla clear images of the veins in the wings, but the bodies were fine.

That then prompted the move to a camera that would shoot faster, 1/8000 sec (which the D500 will shoot at), and the results were a lot more pleasing.

Those wings in flight must be moving at a phenomenal speed!

I still need more practice, but that'll be next year now, i don't expect to see any more banded damsels this year.

• gaynorsl said:
    Over my head all the camera settings I just think the photos are beautiful Nigel, well done for sitting so still and letting the target species get so close to you without moving, that last shot is one in a million I'm sure. Glad you didn't get a case of the hiccups:-)

No matter what camera folk use, I think all the photos posted on the forum are brilliant, especially taking in to account for many a lot of patience will be required.

If I need to spend a long time waiting, rather than standing for a prolonged period, I use a folding seat, that is light to carry, and will sit nicely in the straps of a tripod carrier, if you're not carrying a tripod.

It's great to take the weight off your feet and just as with a tripod, you can set it up without removing it from the tripod carrier.

I stumbled across the idea in my early days of trying to walk and requiring many rest stops.

• That sounds a good idea Mike, standing around can get tiring I'm sure and of course once you have sat you can always get a butty or cup of coffee too:-) I have a walking stick with seat, can't remember what it's called at the moment, brain not working, but as I am usually walking with dog I don't have the opportunity to sit much.
  • gaynorsl said:
    That sounds a good idea Mike, standing around can get tiring I'm sure and of course once you have sat you can always get a butty or cup of coffee too:-) I have a walking stick with seat, can't remember what it's called at the moment, brain not working, but as I am usually walking with dog I don't have the opportunity to sit much.

I've found some photos that I shared with someone who was curious as to how I got around carrying the seat, so here goes.

The seat folded up and opened out for use

The seat attached to a Tripod Carrier. The crutches are an extra, which I've almost managed to do with out, just every now and then.....

• Looks very handy Mike, will look out for them, could be a good gift for the kids to get for their aged Mum for Xmas.
  • gaynorsl said:
    Looks very handy Mike, will look out for them, could be a good gift for the kids to get for their aged Mum for Xmas.

It was a godsend in my early getting back to walking days, and recently, I've found it handy again when hanging around patiently for the ideal photo.