Dazzling Damsels and Dragons 2019

• Nice pics Terry, I haven't seen any yet this year.

Lot to learn

• Some pics from Arne, no idea what any of them are, but keen to learn

• Nice selection of damsels and dragons, PB. I'm no expert but I've been trying to get to know them over the last few years. As you asked ...............
    No 1 is I'm fairly sure is a Small Red Damselfly. Well done with that because they are so tiny that it's difficult to get focus.
    No 2 is a Four-spotted Chaser
    No 3 is I think an Azure Damselfly. Quite similar to a Common Blue but there are subtle differences which I won't go into.
    All the rest I think are Four-spotted Chasers, They look fairly freshly emerged because of their silvery wings and the spots and dark patches are not all that prominent yet.

Fascinating creatures, I'm quite a fan of them.

Regards,Tony

My Flickr Photostream 

• In reply to TeeJay:

Thanks Tony, There was quite a lot of "water bombing" from the bigger ones... eg flying to the surface then lifting off again once they'd hit it... quite noisy! Some of the varieties are absolutely stunning …. thank goodness for nowadays it being digital photography, not on film...would've cost a fortune!! lol
  • A good selection.

Nige   Flickr

• Well done PBloke, I'm dead chuffed 'cause I recognised the four spotted chaser:- The sixth and seventh photos are really lovely.

Lot to learn

• An immature Common Blue

A close up of a Large Red Damsel

Yesterday, I saw my first Hawkers of the year and several Ruddy Darters. I'll try and put up a photo or two of the latter when I've had time to work them up.

Nige   Flickr

• Nice captures everyone.

Jim

My Pictures

• Superb photos all, as always, and too many to acknowledge individually.

A couple from a recent visit to the River Stort, Bishops Stortford while visiting our son.

I'm open to suggestions, but it looks to me like a chaser of some sort....

An amorous pair of damsels, probably common blues, but again, I'm open to correction, or guidance.... 

Mike

Flickr Peak Rambler

• Nice. Female Black-tailed Skimmer for the first one I think. Agree with Common Blue Damselfly. Doesn't have the "Coenagrion spur" that the other blues have. Don't ask. LOL

Regards,Tony

My Flickr Photostream