Dazzling Damsels and Dragons 2019

This thread is for anything to do with Damselflies, Dragonflies and Demoiselles. Anyone is welcome to post in it.

The 2018 thread is HERE

Nige   Flickr

• So far I have found 2019 a very slow year for Dragons with very few species showing and numbers well down on this time last year, which hasn't made it any easier to fulfil one of my targets of getting more and better in-flight shots. Chasers are notoriously difficult to catch mid-air (I think) but there are occasions when the odds significantly improve, so here's the best of my recent attempt at a Broad-bodied Chaser in-flight

Hopefully, I'll get the chance to improve and do some more species as the season goes on

Nige   Flickr

• Lovely shots Nige, now if the weather improves next week to the heat wave they are promising you will get more chances hopefully to give us more treats.

Lot to learn

• Lovely shots folks, not seen many dragons/damsels/demoiselle in the short time I've been "naturing", I've been more focussed on birds, but here are a couple I saw yesterday

Male and female banded demoiselle if my research is correct?

• PimperneBloke said:
    Male and female banded demoiselle if my research is correct?

Spot on. Nice set of images. I haven't managed many this year so far.

Tony

My Flickr Photostream 

• Thanks Tony, and for the confirmation of identity
  • A brilliant thread with some wonderful images

I've not seen many myself, and those I have seen have already been posted, however, I did find a rather gruesome sight the other day

Felt sorry for the Damselfly, but even spiders have to eat.

cheers  Terry

my photo's here

• I didn't see all three when I took the picture (I was the other side of the muddy pool trying not to fall in!!)... 

and not sure what any are!!

• Unknown said:

So far I have found 2019 a very slow year for Dragons with very few species showing and numbers well down on this time last year, which hasn't made it any easier to fulfil one of my targets of getting more and better in-flight shots. Chasers are notoriously difficult to catch mid-air (I think) but there are occasions when the odds significantly improve, so here's the best of my recent attempt at a Broad-bodied Chaser in-flight

I've heard quite a few folk saying this year has been slow for dragons.
    I guess the lack of sun hasn't helped much either.
  • I forgot to post this one from last May. I think it's a Hairy Dragonfly (aka Hairy Hawker) At least I hope it is because I haven't seen one before. Not the best of photos because it was in an awkward position with very contrasting light and shade.

Tony

My Flickr Photostream 

• Nice spot - I've not seen one

Nige   Flickr