Help - nesting sparrows, roofer coming soon..

Hi,

We've got a roofer coming at the end of May to reroof, after many frought attempts to book one.

I've just spotted that we've got a sparrow nest in one cavity in the roof - I can hear the chirping of chicks, and the sparrows are whizzing in and out.

Now, the back of the house is going to be fully scaffolded, and the hole where the sparrows are is on the list to be fixed :( I was hoping that by the end of May these chicks would have fledged and moved out, but from what I've read it seem that the sparrows will lay more eggs and start again?

I want to disturb things as little as possible, but at the same time the roof is desperate for fixing, can anyone advise what could be done to minimise any stress for these sparrows? I could ask that this section of roof be left alone this time, but just the act of putting the scaffold up all around it will be quite disruptive I fear.

Thanks in advance.

Matt

• Sorry no one has been back to you Matt. From when a bird places the first piece of nesting material, that is classed as an active nest, as you are hearing the chicks, it is obviously in use and the babies are there, therefor you or anyone else are breaking the law by interfering or disturbing that or any nest. I understand your problem, but am afaid you will have to leave well alone.

Beauty is in the eye of the beholder.

• Hi,

Yes I am. Thanks for the replies everyone. I can definately hear the chicks (harder to see than hear), so I'm wondering if I wait till I'm sure they've fledged, and then I can remove the nest (I wonder if I place a nearby nest box they might use that instead), and then I've been as undisruptive as possible.

The thing is, even if I ask the builders to leave this section alone - they're scaffolding all around it, so the disruption from that alone may well force the sparrows to abandon the nest, if I don't do this.

Thanks

Matt
  • Excellent - thanks for all that info there everyone :)

I'm pretty certain that this is the only nest, and also the bit of roof they are nesting on is just above the bay in my study, so when I'm in there I can hear them quite clearly (and I work from home so I'm in there a lot), So hopefully it should be clear when they've move on out, so I can remove the nest.

Cheers again
  • Update:

The sparrows have fledged, and I can see them flying about the garden. I've just been up and the nest, so far as I can tell is empty (it's very well hidden in a crack in the wall). So I've blocked it up a bit, but I can see sparrows (young ones I think) trying to get back in - have I done the rifght thing here or do I need to give them longer - sparrow stress!
  • Hi there

Yes - but I decided to move it further down the garden and away from the house, since I figured the scaffold is going to be there a while and disrupt any chance of that being successful.

Thanks for the reassurances ;)

Matt