The Young of 2019

Yes, it's already that time of year when the little ones start to pop up. Anyone can add photos or stories regarding this years young.

(I don't think anyone else has already started this for 2019 but let me know if there is one somewhere that I missed) 

Last year's thread is HERE 

At Marshside yesterday I was surprised to see a couple of young Mallards with mum and dad but then today I saw another Mallard mum trying to herd 7 little ones who were doing a fine impression of random particles, heading in every direction as fast as they could possibly go. I suspected disaster when they passed in striking distance of a fishing Heron, but Mum put herself noisily in the way at the last moment and the Heron didn't try to get past her.

Nige   Flickr

• Thanks, Hazel. The cherry which died did have small white flowers like the Bird Cherry in your link to the Woodland Trust but its cherries were red, not blackish, so perhaps it was something other than Bird Cherry. Its summer leaves were green while the autumn leaves were a mix of salmon pink and slightly orangey. In addition to Bullfinches, the cherries were loved by Blackbirds and Wood Pigeons. It was amusing to watch the Blackbirds (once the cherries on the sturdier branches had been eaten) launch themselves from the lawn beside the tree up toward the smaller outer twigs, grab a cherry and land back on the lawn, only to do it all over again and again and again. We'll probably also consult the RHS and possibly our most local Wildlife Trusts--Surrey and Hampshire. The lawn will be much smaller once we have planted everything we hope to plant!

Kind regards, Ann

• Unknown said:
    fancy seeing Avocet chicks at Lunt, would never have thought they'd be there !

I couldn't remember seeing them there before, so I was surprised, but it was a very nice surprise!

Nige   Flickr

• Great to see the Bullfinch and chicks too Hazy, I saw the male again today but so far no others. Your garden is doing well for all the young this year.

Lot to learn

• Nige it is great to see the Avocet chick and also the Little Ringed Plover, great captures. They look very adventurous out there in the wide world.

Lot to learn

• gaynorsl said:
    They look very adventurous out there in the wide world.

I know, they were wandering off alone well away from their parents but fortunately not attracting the attention of gulls or anything.

Nige   Flickr

• Wow ---cracking shots Alan, and you have captured them so well, clear and beautiful.

Lot to learn

• Jackdaw youngster.

My bird photos HERE

• Little blue eyes - very appealing Paul, they can turn out quite clever birds can't they - at least the ones around here have me sussed:-)

Lot to learn

• Just a few young from garden -  Great Tit

Saw it being fed - unless it was courtship feeding, seems well marked so not sure now

Think I can be definite with this little spadger

and this one from this afternoon - could be a young Chaffinch

So fluffy and cute

Sat contentedly there for a few mins while parent was feeding on hearts, but didn't get it passing any on to the little 'un!!!

Gaynor

Lot to learn

• You've got a great selection of youngsters in the garden. I guess the last little 'un is being gently persuaded to fend for itself :)

Nige   Flickr