The Young of 2019

Yes, it's already that time of year when the little ones start to pop up. Anyone can add photos or stories regarding this years young.

(I don't think anyone else has already started this for 2019 but let me know if there is one somewhere that I missed) 

Last year's thread is HERE 

At Marshside yesterday I was surprised to see a couple of young Mallards with mum and dad but then today I saw another Mallard mum trying to herd 7 little ones who were doing a fine impression of random particles, heading in every direction as fast as they could possibly go. I suspected disaster when they passed in striking distance of a fishing Heron, but Mum put herself noisily in the way at the last moment and the Heron didn't try to get past her.

Nige   Flickr

• They all seem to be doing well, surprised me as I hadn't realised any young had fledged.

Lot to learn

• Awww bless them Gaynor, sadly I never see any in our garden but the other birds we are lucky enough to see almost make up for the absence of chirping spudgies lol

Regards, Hazel 

• I don't get half the number we had in years gone by but must have 30 resident spadgers that take it in turns to use the feeders and chirp all day. Hazy soon you will be followed by numerous birds when you go to the garage to get the mealworm, and then all the corvids asking for food too will definitely provide you and Mike with plenty of fun and delight over the summer months.

Lot to learn

• It's nice to see everyone's youngsters.

Nige   Flickr

• Many thanks, Everyone, for all of the lovely photos of youngsters.

Kind regards, Ann

• Can't wait Bob, meanwhile a couple from today

This young Robin was exploring the garden this morning, an adult appeared five mins later, not Titch, could have been female, anyway they disappeared together, and later on I saw the adult fly away from the shed with food in it's mouth, straight to the youngster by the gate, where they disappeared from view.    Nice...could be one of Titch's, who knows:-)

Lot to learn

• Fabulous photos folks.

I've seen the other thread, and as yet, I understand this to be the master thread, so here comes a little grebe from RSPB Conwy, during a recent visit.

• Another to add,   our first juvenile in the garden .............a young GT  although it looks like if fledged a while back.

Regards, Hazel 

• After sitting for two seasons unoccupied, my sparrow terrace has tenants: great tits. Too high up to see inside, but enthusiastic cheeping for several days now and parents to and fro with caterpillars.
    Anyway, the sparrows have been busy elsewhere as there are three or four youngsters chasing their parents up and down the garden begging to be fed.
    I thought I was going to have a robin nest in my ivy - they were coming and going with nest material - but a local cat started climbing up to take a look and they moved on. Probably just as well.
  • I'm as sure as I can be that this is a juvenile Nuthatch ...................   I'm going on last year's fledgling photos with very clean plumage, lighter buff, greyer rather than black supercilium and clean, neat white throat area   !     

we have two pair of nuthatches that breed each year.  

Regards, Hazel