All about Insects 2019

This is the carry on thread from "All about Insects 2018" here https://community.rspb.org.uk/wildlife/f/all-creatures/196071/all-about-insects-2018

I had a lovely Minotaur Beetle around the UV trap this morning, my first ever!

Apparantly this is their time of year!

All insects, spiders, beetles, flies etc etc welcome,

• We used to see lots of them (also when we lived in Somerset) & had seen a few this year when I was out with the moth-trap, so was thrilled to see one in the garden. You'll just have to go out wandering along the lanes in the dark, they shine out brightly.
  • ***You'll just have to go out wandering along the lanes in the dark,***
    That's where I'm going wrong H! But the bogeyman might get me! Lol
  • The bogeyman got my battery last saturday night. Did my usual down a quiet track in middle of woods, dropped off the small moth trap about 21h30 & then set up the big one (150m away around a bend). I heard lots of dogs barking around 22h15 & thought "that's unsuual". I went to check on 1st trap, no light, battery nicked!! I grabbed the trap & light (still in tact & neatly disconnected thankfully) & dashed back to other before they nicked that battery too!
    Sadly life in France has caught up with the rest of the world. Luckily it was a duff battery which was donated by my local garage. No good for starting cars but OK to run a light for a few hours. Sadly he sent all his stock to the scrapyard last week so will have to wait until he condemnes another one! LOL
  • Oh dear Hazel, those rotten thieves taking the battery; Hope you manage to source another battery soon.
    You're braver than me venturing out late at night in the middle of woodland !
  • Not nice H & much braver than me too, don't like the dark!!
  • Being out in the woods doesn't seem to bother me, but a pain when there are thieves about. I have a reserve battery which is a bit too heavy, will have to build up my muscles until I get a replacement.
  • Hazel/Noisette, What a shame about the battery. Unfortunately it only takes one wicked and uncaring person among thousands of lovely people to really ruin a person's day, not to mention pocketbook.
  • A shame about the battery. I suppose the only consolation is that they probably thought it was a good one. It will serve them right if that mistake costs them!

• You go out, you sit down for a coffee and what happens? You get a wasp on your cup.

Who knew that Ichneumon Wasps were secret coffee addicts.

More of those Red-thighed St. Mark's flies. You'd've thought having hairy eyes would ruin your vision.

The females are similar but have much smaller heads and eyes

• Lots of these little black mating flies around today, walking up house walls, my trousers, all over my gardening gloves

This pair likely still somewhere in my kitchen, took my eye off them! Lol