All about Insects 2019

• I have seen two large bumble bees flying around the heather, early I thought especially as it is still so cold on this island of ours.

Lot to learn

• In reply to Nigel O:

Having been kindly pointed in the right direction ... here is my first Ladybird of this year sunning itself on Buddleia stem a couple of days ago ...

2013 photos & vids here

eff37 on Flickr

• Very nice. I'm looking forward to when more insects show up - still only seen a few big (queen) bees and 2 butterflies so far.

Nige   Flickr

• Well done Wendy, lovely photo although it took almost a minute to come up on the screen! However we are out in the sticks here! LOL

Best wishes

Hazel in the Gironde estuary, France

• Wendy it was only yesterday I picked one up off the path outside and put it on a leaf, just before I pulled up the wheelie bins, it seemed very small but I suppose it is early in the season and has time to grow!!

Lot to learn

• I spotted this rushing across a pond. Didn't really have the right lens on to photograph it but under the circumstances it's not a bad photo of a little Raft Spider (Dolomedes sp.), less than 1cm across. I tried to get it actually running across the surface but it was just too quick and it came out slightly out-of-focus

Nige   Flickr

• Nice one Nigel, the name caught my attention, we used to eat Dolamathes in Greece when I was there years ago. Stuffed vine leaves if I remember correctly:-)

Lot to learn

• Had horrid vision of stuffed spiders then Gaynor! Lol

2013 photos & vids here

eff37 on Flickr

• In reply to gaynorsl:

Staged a dramatic rescue today when I noticed this little critter swimming in a very large bucket of water ... scooped him/her out on my Marigold!!

Background of this pic is highly enlarged pattern on my rubber glove

Sooo tiny, had to take a pic against ruler for perspective ... must have been newly emerged as you can see spots developing

Popped onto Buddleia leaf to recover .... unfortunately I then found an adult in another bucket of water but quite unrevivable!

2013 photos & vids here

eff37 on Flickr

• Well spotted and rescued - wonder why they were all so intent on taking a dangerous dip.
    The only one I've seen so far this year was in a public loo! I dare it had hibernated in there and was waiting for someone to open the door and let it back out :)

Nige   Flickr