Water Pipit & others - Burton Mere

Although pretty quiet when we first arrived at Burton Mere Wetlands just after 9.30am , things picked up throughout our few hours ending up with a "lifer" although I don't list birds, I don't remember having seen one before and that was a Water Pipit.    Other birds sighted:   Linnet, Reed Bunting, various waders from Bk-t-Godwit and Common Snipe to Curlew and tiny Dunlin.    There was also a Jack Snipe which was being pointed out in Marsh Covert Hide but as it was pretty much obscured I failed to put eyes on it despite putting effort in to finding it with the binoculars;   Surprisingly,  two Bearded Tits were also seen today - but not by me !    Kestrel, Sparrowhawk, Corvids were seen although not within photographic range.     Mike spotted a pair of Stonechats and also a Water Rail at Inner Marsh Farm and that is where I found the Water Pipit and was able to alert other visitors to it    - I'm getting brave  LOL    wasn't totally sure of ID but I went for it and asked at same time for an expert opinion which thankfully confirmed my suspicions.   

Ok, without further ado here is a selection of todays pics............ starting with a pretty Dunnock  -  I love seeing them and don't think they deserve the unfortunate labelling of LBJ  :)

There were Linnets, Reed Buntings and a Thrush

Long hind claw ...... Meadow Pipit ?   ..........

at first sight I thought this was a Song Thrush but totally unsure  !     looks quite grey in places which would suggest  Mistle but I didn't hear that defining football rattle sound as it flew off and on closer inspection I think the arrows are there and they are not splodges on the chest -    Song ??    lol

Inner Marsh Farm area .............    and a rather sheepish looking Common Snipe  !

It was so close for the 300 x 2 reach that I could hardly get it in frame !

what stunning plumage and markings these little waders have

although I often see waders standing and hopping on one leg,  this Snipe appeared to have an injured right leg as it didn't retract it and it appeared stiff to move.

a small flock of Dunlin were on the IMF pool

and a few Redshank although most of these were distant

I assume these are Bk-t-Godwits ..........

but this upward curved bill of another threw me  - or is it exaggerated by angle    ?     help !

If I show you the next photo, you will wonder how on earth I spotted this well camouflaged Water Pipit, especially with my bad eyesight at the moment !

One minute you could just about see it in the swathe of cut down reeds,   the next it had disappeared out of view .......

spot the W'ipit    !!

better view eventually  !

• Great sightings and pictures Hazel, nice to be out and about.

• Congratulations, Hazel, on the Water Pipit, another bird I've not seen.  Love the Dunnock and the Snipe.

• Lovely shots on a beautiful sunny day. I like the Snipe and waders especially. I've read somewhere that the tip of a Godwit's bill is flexible but that one looks rather extreme so not sure if it's a deformity or not.

Well done on spotting the Water Pipit. I'm not sure whether I would have know what it was.

• Thanks all,  turned out a more productive day of sightings than it started !   Some good birds often appear on the Wirral and the Jack Snipe (which I didn't manage to lock on to) was proving a popular one for the twitchers !   nice to hear of the Bearded Tits turning up there and hope they stay a while.  

Unknown said:
    I've read somewhere that the tip of a Godwit's bill is flexible but that one looks rather extreme so not sure if it's a deformity or not.

thanks for the excellent info Tony, I didn't realise this;   was wondering if a Bar tailed was mixed in with them but they say the supercilium extends beyond the eye on bar tailed and is a generally chunkier looking bird compared to the Bk-tailed.      Guess it may be an exaggerated angle combined with perhaps a deformity as you say.   I'll have to check to see if I have other photos of it.    Thanks again.  

• Gorgeous pics of the waders and other birds Hazy, I love the Snipe with it's it fantastic plumage, can't help with S. Thrush, I only go on the size difference really.

• Great photos, especially the snipe and nice to catch a view of rarity like a Water Pipit.

I have seen waders with their beaks in flexible positions but your photo does look extreme ... almost painful!

For me it's a Song Thrush.

• Many thanks Gaynor and Nigel,   went back for another visit today but despite the forecast of sun, it soon clouded over making it dismal for pics and it felt pretty chilly, more so than the other day.   Good news I saw two Water Pipits in different areas although they didn't hang around as long this time, just a one minute sighting of the Inner Marsh Farm one today but did grab a couple of quick pics which I will sort out shortly.      Thanks for confirming the S.Thrush ID Nigel,   I was in two minds when I first saw it but opted for S.Thrush in the end.   I still can't work out that Bk-t-Godwit with the flexible bill  lol 

• Brilliant photos Hazy & good you got a new species. We get Water Pipits in the winter, often alone on the edge of ditches. You did very well to spot it there.