"Odds & Sods" (old version) - please add to the new thread 2020 instead !

THIS THREAD IS NOW DISCONTINUED,   please add to the new 2020 thread HERE

Often we don't have enough photos to create a full thread so thought I'd start an Odds & Sods thread where you may want to add a pic or two when you don't have enough for their own thread .    Feel free to add your rogues gallery here ! 

I only had a couple of pics today, one a Treecreeper and the other a very hacked off looking Great Egret huddled against the reeds trying to keep warm !

Regards, Hazel 

• Lynn L said:
    Cracking photos Bob and PB.

I'll second that, cracking photos folks.

• First big stag on Blackamoor this morning. Not going to win as many does as on Big Moor I think, just the one doe and young one so far but then again there's a while to go.

• Back up north next weekend Hazel, and will be going to the moss, sadly lower hide is closed because they say its not safe and they have no idea when it will or if it will ever be open again, so it looks like a new hide will have to be built.

Jim

My Pictures

My Fbook Group

• James G said:
    sadly lower hide is closed because they say its not safe and they have no idea when it will or if it will ever be open again, so it looks like a new hide will have to be built.

Yes, I just read the LM update and not surprised the Lower Hide needs some major attention although I will really miss this hide for its excellent sightings at the far end of the main reserve.     Hope its not too long before they re-open it but to be honest, I think it really needs a new hide as tinkering with the old one will just sap money and will never be up to the standards of modern hides today.     Looked like it was falling to pieces years ago  !!     Being such an important reserve I hope they find money to invest in a new hide in this fabulous part of the reserve.   We'll be going back at beginning November.       Have a safe journey back to Lancashire Jim.

Regards, Hazel 

• Lets hope its quick, but it does not sound like it will on Fbook sadly.
    I will be back down here sometime in November for a couple of weeks then back down again December, will be back up north over Christmas for two weeks with Bev, she wants to come back up to see a few friends while were are there then go back for a rest :) I will need it after all those miles lol

Jim

My Pictures

My Fbook Group

• Have not had much opportunity to go walking out with camera these past few weeks since hip replacement op. but was able to be in the garden without crutches on Sun and decided to have a go at clearing weed and leaves from the pond.

The first scoop with the net pulled out 2 newts as did the next scoop and thought I'd better stop and did not have a camera to hand. All four I think were last years models. So went and grabbed my pocket camera and moved to another area to scoop duck weed and leaves out and found the following.

Dragonfly Larvae, fierce looking beasties.

Then out came two of this years newt youngsters, called Efts I believe.

And I've had the trail cam out some nights to catch our resident........Hoggie. With the amount of poo on the lawn I was expecting to see more than one though.

Post Edit, ignore the date on the pic I need to go into the menu and set it correctly.

• Tony T said:

Have not had much opportunity to go walking out with camera these past few weeks since hip replacement op. but was able to be in the garden without crutches on Sun and decided to have a go at clearing weed and leaves from the pond.

And I've had the trail cam out some nights to catch our resident........Hoggie. With the amount of poo on the lawn I was expecting to see more than one though.

Post Edit, ignore the date on the pic I need to go into the menu and set it correctly.

Nice photos Tony, and I hope the hip op recovery is quick. I share your frustrations using crutches, though I've managed to progress to a walking stick, 95% of the time.

it looks like you have the same, or very similar Bushnell cam to me. I use the video function, which gives good results, though sadly, many of the subjects are quite so interesting.

• An interesting and unusual set Tony, I've not seen the larvae before, nor newts since I was a nipper!! Love the hovering Hoggie lol
  • Right, Marshy, you scale the bended pole with the dangly bit, Goldie, you swoop under the archy bit, showing off your fan like wings, and I'll crab walk across the top as you go through, and we'll see if any muppet snaps a picture of it

• Good to go pond-dipping in your own pond, just to see what's hiding in there. To get a dragonfly larva and two efts is pretty good.

Nige   Flickr