"Odds & Sods" (old version) - please add to the new thread 2020 instead !

THIS THREAD IS NOW DISCONTINUED,   please add to the new 2020 thread HERE

Often we don't have enough photos to create a full thread so thought I'd start an Odds & Sods thread where you may want to add a pic or two when you don't have enough for their own thread .    Feel free to add your rogues gallery here ! 

I only had a couple of pics today, one a Treecreeper and the other a very hacked off looking Great Egret huddled against the reeds trying to keep warm !

Regards, Hazel 

• Two and a half hours I spent trying to get this noisy thing at Pennington on Thursday - it was being loud for most of that, although not always with the traditional song. I had lots of very brief sightings but always behind tangles of twigs, leaves, etc and this is still the best I could come up with.

Cetti's Warblers eh? I hope it got a sore throat!

Nige   Flickr

• So, while waiting for the Cetti's to show, a hoard of warblers passed through, resulting in these two quite different birds.

Now, I'd say they were both Chiffchaffs as both have short primary projections (and black legs). I originally had the first down as a youngster, for no reason other than instinct, but then thought perhaps that one is the adult, haggard after a breeding season and the second, pristine one might be the new youngster. Or maybe they are both the same age. Anyone else have any thoughts??? (Well, it's a different twist to the more typical WillowChaff question Slight smile )

Nige   Flickr

• Fabulous warbler shots Nige and very well done on capturing such a beaut with the Cettis. With regard to the Chiffchaff, I would have had exactly the same instinct as you - going with juvie for first and then adult below but will definitely leave it for Rob to decide !

Regards, Hazel 

• well captured Alan, especially Kestrel with prey - is it a shrew; seems to have pointy nose ! ?

Regards, Hazel 

• Back up to see if there was any signs of the rutting on Big Moor yesterday, not yet. Also great to see the deer hiding amongst the ferns and long grass and the stags forgetting they have a foot and half of antlers up there, easier to hide when you are a doe I think.

• Wow, dramatic photo via Twitter Alan
    @ Bob, lovely set of headgear ! nice pic.

Regards, Hazel 

• Thanks Hazel. To be honest I still like the neighbouring moor (Blackamoor). It's not as grandiose as Big Moor and lots less deer but because of that and because they have less people going to see them they come a lot closer, especially early doors. Often at sunrise (especially during the week)  it's just me and them which is pretty great.

• A nice pair of Deer shots. I haven't seen a fully antlered Red stag for a while, as Roe are far more common where I am.

Nige   Flickr

• Alan, brilliant LTT's and kestrel, and the link, well... wow!
    Bob, love the peek-a-boo stag!
  • Give us a clue Alan?!!!!!

Lot to learn