Beautiful Butterflies 2018

Waiting for H to transfer her Comma over!

2013 photos & vids here

eff37 on Flickr

• Superb shots of the Small Copper, Jim, and by WE too. Haven't seen any this year sadly.

Tony

My Flickr Photostream 

• I'm also a big fan of the Small Coppers, lovely shots.

My bird photos HERE

• They are nice Haze, and small lol.

Seen lots here Tony, but we do have a lot of Ragwort around.

Thank you Paul.

Jim

My Pictures

My Fbook Group

• Lovely shots Jim, Small Coppers are just awesome little butterflies. I love watching them give chase to other insects and butterflies that are larger than itself. 

Tony, I'm the same as Jim, we have seen them quite a bit around different places.

I was out today looking for some Dingy Skippers in a local reserve that I've not visited before. But unfortunately, I do believe I'm rather late in finding them but I've noted the possible sites for next year.

I did see quite a lot of Small Coppers again today.

I also found a Small Skipper but It was the only one I saw today

A Comma was also seen, it was a bit awkward photographing this one, it was very very obliging however, the place was full of thistles, trying to get to eye level without getting pricked was impossible so I fired a burst of shots and hurried away haha.

Finally a large white allowed close views.

• Love your second picture WE.

Jim

My Pictures

My Fbook Group

• Thanks Jim, It was my favourite butterfly shot of the day. I just couldn't help taking shots of the Small Coppers, they are too irresistible! At one point there were a pair and the male looked keen on mating but after waiting for a while, the female flew away which was a shame.  

• Common Blue from today's visit to Saltholme.

Male

Female

• Great shots WE, I'd hedge my bets with the female though, could be a Brown Argus! I can't tell from the photo!

Best wishes

Hazel in Southwest France

• Thanks Hazel, my sister and I had a discussion last night, we were wondering if the last one could have been a Northern Brown Argus, but it was hard for us to come into a conclusion because I couldn't get a shot of the underside of the forewing. Since from my guide, the Northern Brown Argus/ Brown Argus does not have spotting close to its body on the underside of the forewing compared to the common blue.

• Very good photos.

Apart from the spot on the forewing, I understand there is meant to be a (small) difference in the hindwing spots as well. A (Northern) Brown Argus has two spots very close together, described as almost a figure of eight.

See the spots highlighted on this Northern Brown Argus I took earlier in the year (it also lacks that extra spot on the forewing and was seen in a spot well-known for them, so I'm reasonably confident of ID in this case).

I don't know how reliable this method of ID is, but it worked for this individual obviously! Based on that however, I think yours would be a Common Blue.

Nige   Flickr