Beautiful Butterflies 2018

Waiting for H to transfer her Comma over!

• Great photo folks.

Here's my very small offering, a small white at RSPB Middleton Lakes Sat 21 April

• Despite it being rather cool and windy there were some butterflies active.

Green-veined White - first I've seen this year

Male

Female

Got some better shots of a male Orange-tip feeding on Lady's Smock (Cuckoo Flower) - I think - correct me if I'm wrong

Brimstone still eluding my camera.

• wonderful to see the butterflies, how pretty the Orange tip is.  I saw a few at Leighton Moss including 3 brimstone who kept fluttering by !

• Nice shots, Tony. Apart from last weeks hot weather, I'm still not seeing too many.

Unknown said:
    Brimstone still eluding my camera.

Last year I found the early Brimstones very flighty and almost impossible to sneak up on, but the later ones were much more relaxed and camera friendly. Not sure if anyone else finds similar trends or if it was just a one off.

• Sunny but breezy today. It was birds 0 butterflies 4.

A pair of Green-veined White getting the next generation started 

Got a Peacock with it's wings opened this time.

A fresh looking Speckled Wood - female I think

Gotcha. Not the greatest view of a Brimstone but they've eluded me until now so quite pleased

• Well done capturing the butterflies so well Tony, they never stay still long enough for me although I can add a beautiful Orange Tip from yesterday afternoon when it landed on the Erysimum flowers.  

• Some gorgeous butterfly photos folks

• Those are lovely shots of the Orange-tip, Hazel.

Erysimum flowers (Bowles Mauve) are wonderful for attracting insects and they flower for ever. I've had one for two years but unfortunately the Beast from the East and the mini one later on zapped it so I've had to buy two new plants. Worth it though.

• I had the 300mm on the camera but once we get into a more settled spell of sunshine I will have the macro lens on as we have quite a few insects around at the moment including the tawny mining bee (sand bee).    I've seen brimstone too and a green veined white today so will be nice to try get a few more pics maybe weekend.  

As you say Tony, the Erysimum are lovely insect attracting flowers and they seem to go on in bloom forever.  I got mine from Aldi for less than $2 each at the time.    

• Good selections Tony, Hazel

Unknown said:
    Got a Peacock with it's wings opened this time.

I know the feeling. I couldn't get one of those at all last year, they all had partially closed wings! I'm off to a better start this year 

Although it is a bit tatty...