Leighton Moss - final day (salt marshes)

Now down to just the 2 Amigos for the final day,  Mike and I headed first to the salt marshes as the path between the Allen and Morecambe hides had been repaired, hard to believe in just a few days the amount of hard work the staff/volunteers have put in as the pathway was trashed by recent storm Eleanor combined with a very high tide which caused severe erosion to the pathway.         

As we headed from the car park we saw flocks of greenfinch, chaffinch, reed buntings and a distant fieldfare in the trees that skirt the marshes;    hen pheasants were feeding amongst the finches on the frosty grassland ..     it was a bitterly cold start to the morning and just above freezing 

female reed bunting

and the best I could get when it came to fieldfare 

We headed straight for the 2nd hide which was Morecambe hide and although we didn't meet Eric and Ernie we did see at a distance  Little and Large    lol 

Misty view ......   bit heavy on contrast but I liked it  lol

They came closer as the morning went on and the light improved    

Great Egret 

Little Egret

Just outside the Morecambe hide perching on the post was this handsome fellow ......

and then he flew round to perch on a nearer post and I was disappointed I still had the 2 x extender on as he was closer than I expected  !

this was uncropped on the 5D with the 300 & 2 x 

now slightly cropped version;       I took the extender off and he didn't return :( 

It was murky early on but another misty landscape 

a train passed by to the left of the photo above .... heading to Lancaster 

Next, two Redshanks .... ah-hem .... were  getting in the mood despite it only being mid January  !     

I have a series of photos which I may have to put up separately ..... as this practice "exercise"  !   went on several times    lol

I heard scratching and thought a bird was pecking the outside of the hide windows for insects .........   only to find "Erica" robin had joined us in the Morecambe hide    lol            how is it that they know Hazy has live mealies    ?    

it was showing off it's new aerobic moves    lol           how cute is this ?    !!!

It had clearly been too cold outside for Erica as her post had frost on it  ......

and the rest of the salt marsh pics, including some which were also taken from Allen hide on our return to the car park

4 Goosander -   likely Red-breasted Mergansers (many thanks to Tony) which  were on the pools 

and 3 drake Pintail with 2 female Pintail

I took over 500 photos yesterday so it's hard not to overload the thread - sorry   lol    

Will be back with the "mating" Redshank post and more pics of a Rail than you can handle   !!

Regards, Hazel 

• Lovely pics. I hope Erica is still around at the end of June.

Unicum arbustum haud alit duos erithacos

(One bush does not shelter two Robins)

Zenodotus (3rd Century B.C.)

• Morning Paul, thanks,  I'm sure she will be around, I've seen her there a few times.    

Regards, Hazel 

• Very atmospheric photos, Hazel. Winter light can give some great moody pictures.

Lovely to see the two egrets together, it emphasises the huge difference in size. Good capture of the Great in flight. Lovely to see the KF too.

I like the way the Robins at LM have learned to come into the hide.

I could be wrong but I'm wondering whether the "sawbills" are Red-breasted Mergansers. The bill looks too slim for Goosanders and there is no sharp dividing line between the head and body.

Second opinions required methinks. You could also look at the BTO video

www.youtube.com/watch

I must catch up with your other threads from LM

Tony

My Flickr Photostream 

• Thanks Tony,  it was a fantastic last day and I've yet to put up the other pics so don't go searching just yet and have another cuppa lol

Thanks so much for the help with ID,  I'm afraid I got lazy and just went by what people had written in the book at reception as I never know my R-b-Mergs from my Goosies   lol    thanks so much the BTO youtube clip is helpful and I often refer to them.  The bill does look more upward and slimmer as you say.  All these tips are most helpful so much appreciated.  I love waders.

Regards, Hazel 

• Unknown said:
    Thanks so much for the help with ID

I'm not confident about the ID so don't take it as certain which is why we need other opinions. I do know that R-b Mergs prefer salt water in winter whereas Goosanders are usually found on inland fresh water..

Tony

My Flickr Photostream 

• Ok Tony,  but I agree with the pointers leading to R-b-M's   I'm in your camp  lol    we'll see if the others agree.  

I'll try put up the Redshank pics shortly;  a bit too early for proper mating I would think and the pictures told a story at the end when Mrs Redshank bit him on the leg and sent him on his way   LOL  

Regards, Hazel 

• Well you certainly did have a very nice morning down at the salt marsh Hazel, so many birds and it does look very cold and frosty and nice to see Erica, again in the hide she is a little beauty and so are the rest of your pictures.

Jim

My Pictures

My Fbook Group

• Some good sightings and photos, especially given the misty conditions.

For what it's worth, I'm not that familiar with R-b Mergansers but I see goosanders regularly during winter and I've never seen one like that, almost scruffy looking in comparison (for want of a better term), so I'd go with RBM, too.

Nige   Flickr

• Cheers Jim and Nigel,    it certainly was a day of surprises but wish you'd both been there too.    Thanks also for adding your thoughts of ID  to team RBM camp  !

Regards, Hazel 

• The saltmarsh hides are probably my favourite part of Leighton Moss especially if you get the tides right. There has been quite a bit of storm damage in recent time most likely due to the exposed site at the top of Morcambe Bay.A couple of years ago the sluices for controlling water level in the lagoons needed work on them.All very worth while I think. It is ofyen a great place for watching raptors hunt over the wader flocks pushed in on the rising tide. Glad you enjoyed your time there,something magical about the whole area. I agree with others the scruffy sawbill is a Red Breasted Merganser.

Pete

Birding is for everyone no matter how good or bad we are at it,enjoy it while you can