Amphibiens & Reptiles 2018/2019

It took me ages to find this one https://ww2.rspb.org.uk/community/wildlife/f/13609/t/110320.aspx?pi2132219858=2#838911 so thought I'd start a new one. I had a couple of newts larking around the moth trap towards the end of november, one of them had what looks like a woodlouse

& a green frog too from October

Anyone had any others recently?

• I don't have a garden pond so I have been looking for frogs in every pool. I found loads of spawn but almost no frogs, until I came across this spot. Loads of amphibian activity ...

I spent an hour or two watching numerous singles and couples and even spotted a few newts, though they were impossible to photograph. For twenty minutes I was thinking the super-telephoto doesn't focus close enough but the 105mm macro doesn't have enough pull before I remembered to take the converter off the super-telephoto and put it on the macro … doh! It also reminds me I need a polarising filter sorted for wildlife lenses as well as landscapes!

Frogs eyes are fabulous colours but there are just too many in this shot … creepy!

•  My new resident in the pond ... reasonably big frog which came from my neighbour's pond as she regretfully has to give it up ... also have seven baby goldfish now residing in my newly refurbished wildlife pond, 4 gold & 3 black&gold !

• 20 days later than the original lot of Frogspawn we came home today to find another freshly laid batch.

Roughly clenched fist sized.

And a quick look at the original batch, roughly flattened Turnip sized.!!

And a close up of the developing chaos.

• Soooooo envious ... still no females here!!  In fact have turned over my newly prepared  wildlife pond over to half a dozen orphaned baby goldfish from over the road neighbour ... I do have another small pre-formed pond which I can whip into action should there be any frogspawn!!!

• Gosh Paul, it must be very satisfying after all your hard work to do the pond to get the frogs breeding there. Well done!
  • I've just seen my first tiny tadpole of the year next to a clump of jellied eyes (oh, alright, frogs eggs) - just the one, looking a little lonely!
  • Will never look at frogspawn in the same light again Nige! Lol. Sure you're lonely one will have a zillion siblings by morning!

Still none here but do have a Newt now, magically appeared in goldfish/frog pond two nights ago ... unless one of my garden worms has sprouted legs!

• I keep looking for newts … and have actually seen a couple, but they don't hang around long enough to ID let alone photograph!
  • WendyBartter said:
    do have a Newt now, magically appeared in goldfish/frog pond two nights ago .

Taken me since 14th April to get a pic ... smooth newt night before last

Frog count now risen to seven & still no spawn!!!

Six here

The two bigger ones

• I'm surprised you've still got frogs. I haven't seen any for ages now as they seem to have re-dispersed. At least you've had a good view of the newt, even if it did require a lot of patience!