How about a corvid thread?couple more tonight

• I was rather embarrassed to admit on this forum that I was very happy to see the Jackdaws nesting area destroyed but they were a real hazard to both our and our neighbours well being as they were so close to bedroom windows. The men that removed the old woodwork on the soffits were surprised . how much nesting material was inside the cavity. They gathered up all the twigs and branches and got Chris to weigh it all. There was over 20 pounds in weight of wood probably a fire hazard. I'm now looking for a sensible solution to stabalise the feeder pole,must get my thinker working as the grandsons say.

Pete

Birding is for everyone no matter how good or bad we are at it,enjoy it while you can

• More garden corvids .............

Jay has spotted something he's not sure of ....   probably a rival Jay as we have two pairs in the garden  !

My boy "Earl"  who will wait patiently for you to chuck out his favourite treat of Peckish seed and mealworm nugget chunk or if really lucky a piece of cooked chicken  !! 

who's a pretty boy then ?    lol

on a mission to reach the nugget before the magpie does   !!

talking of which, this maggie is always on the sneaky prowl for stray mealies   !!

Regards, Hazel 

"Each kindness shown to birds or men is sure to flutter back again" 

• Great pics Hazy, I do like Earl striding out to beat Magpie to the mealies:-) he really is a striking bird. All of them are looking so good with their feathers in peak condition.

Lot to learn

•  A bit distant, but my 1st hooded I think? On hols at Loch Linnhe last week

• In reply to HAZY:

Beautiful photos, Hazel. Earl striding out to get his treat made me smile. I think Jays are still my favourite out of all the the corvids. I think it's their eyes that do it for me.

Regards,Tony

My Flickr Photostream 

• Thanks Tony, I love the Jays too, they are such beautiful looking and clever birds and have an amazing vocal range from Sci-fi elecronic sounds to the mewing of a Buzzard lol If I hear a bird sound I don't recognise then first I think Great Tit and then I think Jay !

Regards, Hazel 

• Hazel, I've just seen your latest Corvid pics--great photos and they are wonderful characters--thanks!
    PimperneBloke, We've only ever seen Hooded Crows on the Isle of Man, along with Choughs on the south of the Island.

Kind regards, 

Ann

• In reply to PimperneBloke:

PimperneBloke said:
    A bit distant, but my 1st hooded I think?

Just in case you wanted confirmation then, yes, it is a Hooded Crow. I haven't seen one since I used to go walking in the West Highlands where they are pretty common.

Nige   Flickr

• Here's a quick pic through the window of the glamorous Mrs Earl the crow .....

Regards, Hazel 

• the leucistic Jackdaw .............

same bird - other side  !

greedy guts next  ................

the Jays are a bit miffed now that whole peanuts are off the menu      ...............

posession is 9/10ths of the law      ...............  !!

Regards, Hazel