Look what Tern-ed up at Leighton Moss !

Hi folks,   still in Cumbria until tomorrow but thought you may like to hear that a very rare Caspian Tern appeared this morning which we viewed from the Causeway Hide.    It went out on the RBA and fortunately the bird returned at least three times so hopefully most folk got to see it at some point in the day.   Fingers crossed, it may even call in tomorrow but it was thrilling to spend over half an hour watching this superb Mega.

Thanks to another experienced birder we were told the exact species of Tern.      I have lots of photos from our 4 days but as this was such a special sighting I thought you may like to see it.    

I have tons more photos of this Caspian Tern but these are the best of the bunch.  

Regards, Hazel 

• Wow, that's a bit special, Hazel, the carrot bill no less. Worth the trip to Leighton Moss to see something rare like that. Looking forward to seeing what else you've seen when you get home.

Tony

My Flickr Photostream 

• Superb spot, Hazel. It's an cracking looking bird and from what I read it's a very large bird, similar in size to a Herring Gull? I'm green with envy here.!! :-)

My bird photos HERE

• Thanks lads,

from what I read it's a very large bird, similar in size to a Herring Gull?

it was really hard to judge the size as they never look that large in the air and when circling around but the bill is something else   lol       I'm still buzzing after seeing it !    or should I say after being told what I was watching by a very kind and experienced birder who popped his head in to the hide to ask if we'd seen the Caspian Tern.     We were also in the company of a TV actor but that's another story   rofl  !!   

I found this not so great shot but interesting nonetheless of the Tern as it dived in the water ... .....should go on bad pics but as its this bird it can stay here  lol  !!

Regards, Hazel 

• Wonderful sighting, Hazel! Lucky you!  Hope it is still there in a week and a half!  Looking forward to the rest of your pics once you are home.

Kind regards, Ann

• Many thanks Bob, our replies crossed when replying to Ann.     It certainly was a huge surprise;  I had assumed it was a Common Tern although another chap in the hide spotted and pointed out the tern to us which he had thought was Common T.  

Thanks Ann,  we also got something special for you too !!  begins with "O" and ends in "Y"     lol

Regards, Hazel 

• LOL, Hazel, Can't wait to see it!

Kind regards, Ann

• Well worth the trip just to see this Hazel, shame I did not manage to call in.

Jim

Jim

My Pictures

My Fbook Group

• Unknown said:

LOL, Hazel, Can't wait to see it!

check your email inbox    lol !!

Regards, Hazel 

• Evening Jim,  sorry you couldn't make it up there today, you never know, it may hang around another day as I believe it was also seen yesterday evening.

Regards, Hazel 

• Wow, Hazel--thanks for the pics!  That bird is a star, an exceedingly well travelled bird with a fascinating history and a favourite of many an Ospreyholic.

Kind regards, Ann