Fabulous Fence Posts

The humble fence post. They're all over the place, and in my opinion, they do a good job. They keep things in and they keep things out. I like them.!!

Please feel free to post any fence post shots that you may have.

This is an example of a fence post but they do come in different shapes and sizes.

They're well worth keeping an eye on because just like me,  various other things also like fence posts.!!

Arctic Terns for example.

And Skylarks.

Meadow Pipits like them a lot.!!

So do Wheatears.

Even though this Linnet isn't actually on a fence post, he probably really likes them as well.

Snipe really like being on the ground but they're not totally against having a go on a fence post now and again.!!

Redshanks are of a similar opinion to Snipes.

This is fun.!! Really small birds also like fence posts, like this Stonechat.

Great big birds like Curlews also stand on top of fence posts sometimes.

As do colourful birds like Oystercatchers.!!

Hooded Crows take it in turns to stand on fence posts.

But Short-eared Owls like them all to themselves.

Fence posts are just great.!! You may even have one in your garden somewhere, they're well worth keeping an eye on. I might even start a fence post appreciation society.!! :-)

• The future looks good for a few more Robins
  • Hoping so ILRFingers crossed, we seem to have 2 pairs nesting close by this year.

• Little wren and an annoying twig.

• Nice photo, as you say shame about the twig...
  • I hope these count as fence posts.

This robin was stood on one of my anti-pigeon 'spikes' on my bird feeder. It was having a go at a Magpie, which was feeding on the ground.

This is more fence posty. I dug out a grape vine and replaced it with another. The one I dug out was old and now consists of one 5 foot tall, upright stem, with a couple of branches stuck out its top. Now a favourate perch for Jays.

Day of coronation. Heavy rain, with heavy low cloud, resulting in very murky conditions and an exceedingly wet Jay.

Not a fence post, but branch. Can I squeeze this in? Starlings were similarly soaked.

• Way at the back of our garden, in the gloom under an oak tree.

It was on this cane for quite a long time, several minutes. It was very interested in something underneath it. Could have been a squirrel or another Dunnock or perhaps a Robin.

These photos shot with my R7 with AI tracking. It was interesting watching the AI tracking fighting with auto focus.

AI tracking (aka eye tracking) is a very powerful tool, but needs mastering. I turned it off, eventually, as there was less hunting for focus or pulsing, as it is called on t'internet. It's not surprising really, when you have a small subject like this Dunnock, which kept moving its head. Ai tracking kept trying to find an eye, the extremely sensitive and fast auto focus kept trying to find something to lock on to. Result can be pulsing.

This is what I got when I turned off AI tracking, though I have to admit my arm was now resting on a kettle therefore providing more stability. The earlier shots were totally hand held, with a zoom of either 600mm or 468mm. Which means a combination of AI tracking, rapid auto focus, and brilliant sensor did a fantastic job of photographing a small, distant bird, in gloom, shot through two panes of glass.

Oh, well, can't win them all.

• This is just plain showing off.

Mallard is standing on a bridge across a pond just north of the 18th tee of a golf course we take our early morning walks around. The tee itself is about 30 yards to the right of this photo. Occasionally we hear a thwack of club hitting ball, followed almost immediately by a thunk as the golfer has somehow hit the ball into one of the uprights of the bridge.

• I think if I was in the vicinity of the bridge and heard a thwack, I would immediarely dive for cover ... Fearful. Maybe the safest place would be by the flag!