Splashy Time!

Just because I love watching birds bathe:

I think this greylag made a particularly impressive sight!

Our herring gulls are red listed birds.  Think about that the next time you hear some flaming idiot calling for a cull of them.

• Well, that goose didn't leave any areas that needed further cleaning lol    The birds seem to so enjoy their bathing, such an essential routine for all manner of reasons.  I often see the Woodpigeons on the waterfall area bathing with one wing up as if cleaning armpits lol   and then they stand in the run off and have their toes tickled  !!   I must start charging them spa fees   lol

Regards, Hazel 

• That s one very clean goose, they are fascinating to watch when bathing.

Beauty is in the eye of the beholder.

• Beautiful!

Unicum arbustum haud alit duos erithacos

(One bush does not shelter two Robins)

Zenodotus (3rd Century B.C.)

• I know what you mean, Clare. I spent 15 minutes watching a long-tailed duck washing itself today - too far for photos, though. Preening I understand but for a duck who spends so much time underwater you wouldn't think it needed a wash so badly ... and he was vigorously splashing water everywhere, almost as if he was doing it for the fun of the thing.

Nige   Flickr

• Lovely, Clare, That Goose is having a great time and you have captured the bath very well!  It seems birds certainly do love bathing and they are very entertaining to watch.

Hazel, I've watched several Collared Doves over the years sitting on an arm of a feeder pole in the rain with one wing held straight up as though they were washing their armpit!  After a time they switched wings.  I laughed myself silly the first time I watched that.  I've never seen any other bird species do the same so it is curious that you've seen Wood Pigeons do that under your waterfall.

Kind regards, Ann

• Lovely photos Clare.  Don't you just wish you could get to those back parts with such ease!

Birdie's DU Summaries 2018   https://www.imagicat.com/

• Not with my mouth!!

Our herring gulls are red listed birds.  Think about that the next time you hear some flaming idiot calling for a cull of them.